+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 611 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118518 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Martin.

They weren't that shit - my old man had one for a bit he said it was like driving a go-kart. He had it 4 years from new and sold it to my uncle he must have run it for about another 6 years with no troubles.

Bidding has gone quite high on that one linked to, up to £900 with a day to go...okay it only has 4K on it but it doesn't start! Not worth that kind of money, I would give £100 tops.

The Allegro gets slagged off too much - they were quite well built and good engines too. The later ones were better. Anyone recall the Triumph Acclaim? real old man's car that one but again reliable and you could buy them cheap in the nineties, always low mileage one owner from new and kept in a garage. Bargain motoring.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The Acclaim was a decent car. All Honda under the skin if I recall, the engines just kept on going. If that eBay metro won't start with only 4k on the clock, it has to be something very simple to sort. 'A' series 998 engine, so simple. Just plugs/points I reckon. The coil should be OK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

The Acclaim's follow up - especially in Vitesse form were great. (One of only 3 left in the world?) Fortunately, Maestro and Montego virtually died off with the follow up Rover 200 and 400 series - which were brilliant (I had a '95 216 GTi Three door in white - great car. My Dad had a 414 which was great too - that 1400cc engine was ground-breaking...)

Unbelievably, the Maestro carried on in China, and although reskinned, still exists today! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Maestro
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

The Rover 600 was great, too. I had a 620ti turbo and it was a pocket rocket.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    The Rover 600 was great, too. I had a 620ti turbo and it was a pocket rocket.
    Yes it was - I had one too for a short while. I know a guy at work who still runs a 620D on an 'N' Plate that has done nearly 300k miles and is still going strong!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Geoff.

Just spotted a little runabout for pocket money in a local dealer. A 2001 Suzuki Alto 1.0 GL, with FSH and 33k on the clock and only one lady owner. Quite tempted to get it as a shopping car, as these are brilliant in traffic. It runs sweetly and looks like it's been garaged as there's not a sign of corrosion. I had the 1.1 GL a while ago and it was a useful little motor, they have a great reliability record. I'm tempted, even though I've already got a van and estate car.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Daniel.

I've had so many cars over the years. In fact I bought my first car (mk2 golf gti) when I was sixteen then realised I had no hope of insuring it once I'd passed my test

This is my current car, another mk2 golf (I'm a massive VW lover!) I've had this for about 11 years now and it's my baby

I take it to a few shows and have done the odd show and shine with it. It's my daily car and celebrates its thirtieth this year! It certainly looks better than me at 30

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Respect, Dan - very nice!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Acclaim was a decent car. All Honda under the skin if I recall, the engines just kept on going. If that eBay metro won't start with only 4k on the clock, it has to be something very simple to sort. 'A' series 998 engine, so simple. Just plugs/points I reckon. The coil should be OK.
    Bet it would do something with just a load of Easy Start sprayed in the intake.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan W View Post
    I've had so many cars over the years. In fact I bought my first car (mk2 golf gti) when I was sixteen then realised I had no hope of insuring it once I'd passed my test

This is my current car, another mk2 golf (I'm a massive VW lover!) I've had this for about 11 years now and it's my baby

I take it to a few shows and have done the odd show and shine with it. It's my daily car and celebrates its thirtieth this year! It certainly looks better than me at 30
    Yes very nice. My girlfriend has a mk1/2 caddy (same B reg as yours but before the minor body re-style of the caddys that came after with their side skirts and stuff). Parked at a service station we decided to park up next to a couple of MK2s like yours on their way to a show - they so looked down on her caddy with it's 90s black alloys, far from neat paintwork and slight moss around the roof etc what with their tens of thousands spend on perfect interiors and body work. They then preceded to tell me what I should do to mine... because it must be my car ? Yawn! Hope you're not like that !

I've always fancied the Mk3 VR6 - an old school friend's mum has one, sadly was her husband's before he died many many years ago. Also sadly she's always driven at about 25 mile per hour.. have been patiently waiting for someone to tell me that she wants to sell it, but it's still there.. being used err wrongly.
    Last edited by nat8808; 25-03-2014 at 02:34.

+ Reply to Thread