+ Reply to Thread
Page 162 of 609 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Graham.

In South Africa in 1971, you could buy a Cortina Mk3 with either an Essex 2.5L V6 or a 3.0L V6 with either auto four speed box or manual five speed box, off the showroom floor. I owned the 2.5L auto estate. From Basil Green Motors, you could buy a Mk3 with a Mustang 5.0L V8. The Granada was also available with a V8. The VW Microbus (Kombi) with Essex 3.0L V6 conversion and straight cut gearbox was also very popular. I had one of these as well - fantastic car. These all came about because Johannesburg, the biggest market, is 6,200 ft above sea level. Today, turbocharging takes care of the power loss, but turbo charging was in it's infancy then. The Fiat Uno 1.6L Turbo sold like hotcakes.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Geoff.

In the eighties, Ford produced the limited production Sierra XR-8, with a five litre V8 engine for the South African market. I only ever saw one in the UK.

I'm Graham.

I drove one! I didn't like the front suspension - very harsh, and the back end would break away with very little provocation.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That sort of fuel economy reminds me of my late father's Daimler 'Double Six', a 5.3 litre V12. It had a 'performance computer', which could tell you, amongst other things: how much fuel (in litre or gallons) you had left in the tank; how far you could go before re-filling, and, alarmingly, the instantaneous fuel consumption in mpg.

If you were going up hill it would read 5 - 8 mpg, but when going down hill you might get 25 mpg!
    That's the only car I've ever been in where you could visibly see the fuel gauge dropping.

The fuel tank swtich was a cool thing too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    In the eighties, Ford produced the limited production Sierra XR-8, with a five litre V8 engine for the South African market. I only ever saw one in the UK.
    A much better car, although not made by Ford, but by Basil Green Motors, was the Capri Peranha - a Capri with a 302 cu / 5L Mustang V8. The whole chassis was re-built with a very good suspension and brakes.

I'm Russell.

I friend of mine, the drummer in my band, bought a used Mustang Cobra, with the big V8 engine. It was scary fast to begin with! The back end stays loose with him driving! And now he’s in the process of installing a used blower kit, a factory belt driven blower he bought from a junkyard. It’s slow going on a limited budget, but once he’s done it’s going to be a monster! Pretty car too, white with two wide blue stripes. Probably about a 2001? I’ve always liked the belt driven blower, it comes on faster than a turbo, has a certain sound of its own. And should push him up over 400bhp, I’m not sure what he expects from it.

Russell

I'm Geoff.

I'm Dan.

My new car

Ford Fiesta MK5 Ghia 1.25 Zetec S...

Drives fantastic....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable