+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 611 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know where you're coming from, but if those are the new rules, then you just have to be prepared. If you take your car to be MOT'd at a garage that regularly services your car, then they'll almost certainly do their best to store your car, if the necessary work for it to pass can't be done there and then.

That would certainly be the scenario for me, or they'd lose my future business!!

However, 9 times out of 10, my car sails through its MOT, as I keep on top of anything that's needing done, certainly anything obvious, such as tyres.

Marco.
    Absolutely Marco

There is a lot to be said from always using one garage for both your MOT's and services, like we do with our Toyota's

There is also a lot to be said for having your car in otherwise tip top condition before putting it in for a service or MOT
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

It's another bit of nonsense legislation, the implications of which have obviously not been thought through.

We had the same with the requirement for an annually repeated SORN, needing vehicle collectors to re-do this for each vehicle every year. Fortunately, common sense eventually prevailed and the annual SORN was replaced by having to do it only once.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's just common sense for me, Bev, rather than using some 'faceless' MOT station, where you're not known from Adam. In the worst scenario, with the garage I go to, I'd be given a courtesy car to use until mine was ready.

That's where it pays to build good relationships with people.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's another bit of nonsense legislation, the implications of which have obviously not been thought through.
    That it is Geoff
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's just common sense for me, Bev, rather than using some 'faceless' MOT station, where you're not known from Adam. In the worst scenario, with the garage I go to, I'd be given a courtesy car to use until mine was ready.

However, I appreciate that sometimes for others that won't always be possible.

Marco.
    Asbolutely Marco... I am quite sure that these MOT stations offering 'cheap' MOT's are just after your business for 'extra' work

We always get a nice new courtesy car from Toyota

To be honest we thought that these 'plate glass' Toyota dealers were just after our money but our local Toyota dealer has been absolutely nothing like that and have been very fair and priced very competitively

Colin had an MOT failure last year due to very worn brake discs, calipers and pads on the front, bare in mind that these are massive due to the vehicle weighing 2.5 ton... the quote from Toyota was about £2.5k which also involved using a local welder to remove the locking wheel nuts as the original nut removal tool had been lost by a 'back street' garage..

Toyota have this scheme to keep older Toyota's on the road so the bill was reduced to a mere £600 'ish for new front discs new calipers and new pads... a bit of a bargain and that included the welder to remove the locking wheel nuts
    Bev

I'm Steve.

I finally found out today what my surprise 60th birthday treat from my daughters is.

It was a few laps in some fast cars. Wahaay!

I got to drive an Audi R8 (didn't know it was a car, thought it was a scouse greeting), a Ferrari 458, and the star (for me) a Lamborghini Aventador, which has 700 bhp, top speed 215mph and 0-60 2.9 seconds (not with me driving though).

My first drive out had the instructor a bit worried, not because of my excessive speed, but because I was suffering with "cone confusion". I'm glad they had a word for it, shows I'm not alone. It would have been easier if they'd had MORE cones (that way I'd be more inclined to go round them, and not between them!)

I doubt I went over 80 the whole time, for fear of binning a car which was worth more than my house, but still good fun.

I finished with a "hot lap" as a passenger in a Vauxhall VXR8. Now that was scary fast, but then these guys do it every day (for wages, what a crap job eh?)

My daughters took me for a nice lunch afterwards, then it was time to race home in my Honda Civic 2.2 litre single turbocharged diesel with front wheel drive and a heady 140bhp on tap.

If I flogged all my Hifi I could probably stretch to a lambo steering wheel, then I can sit at home with the wheel, making engine noises, almost like the real thing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    ..... almost like the real thing.

Excellent, really pleased for you.

I'm Steve.

Thanks Alan.

Oh by the way, I tried a pint of that 'Sneck Lifter' today. Lovely and smooth, I could get through a few pints pretty quickly.

But judging by the colour and 5 or so percent, more than a couple of pints would have looking for the door on my hands and knees, and a bad head to look forward to. But who knows, when you get "the flavour", common sense goes out the window
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Andy.

Default Audi TT Mk1 - HU upgrade

This weekend I upgraded the head unit in my Audi TT Mk1 as I will be keeping it for some time and miss some of the modern options you get in todays cars so went from the single DIN Concert head unit (I did add an XCarlink unit which allowed for hands free calls and stream music from buetooth) to a double DIN Android based unit (Andriod 8, Octo-Core processor with 4Gb RAM and 32Gb Rom).

Not taken out for a spin since the install but everything works so very happy (and the sound is excellent - better than the original HU) - a few pics:

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Robin.

I have changed my car, to an Audi Q5, and my normal music source, my tried and trusted 5th Gen IPod classic is not supported. I have music on my IPhone but would rather have a dedicated player/source for the car.
    So do I go for a new player, or use an usb stick or SD card?
    All suggestions welcome

+ Reply to Thread