+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 158 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1571

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

  1. #1511
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 44,883
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    had 3 tyres fitted this afternoon.. got a decent deal.144
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

  2. #1512
    Join Date: May 2012

    Location: Toulouse

    Posts: 4,233
    I'm GettingFunky.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is that a French thing? That certainly isn't the case here (in Wales). You can drive up to the national speed limit almost anywhere on country roads, so in that respect I'm still having plenty of fun.

    Besides, as I've said before, having a fast car, for me, is mostly about the acceleration (0-60), not the top speed, which you simply can't use. That's why, given a choice, I'd always take a car that, say, had a maximum speed of 90mph, but was blisteringly quick getting there, over one with, say, a top speed of 140mph, but a much slower 0-60.

    Marco.
    Yes, a French road safety initiative. Blanket 80km/h speed limit on the departmental roads.
    Comes into force on 1st July.

    It may be time to get rid of the 7, and get something the family can enjoy. I am thinking of a 356 Speedster replica.
    Contemplating life, the universe and use of HiFi forums.

    Life is too short to worry about the opinion of others.

  3. #1513
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 911
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I take your point, and I'm sure that, in due course, they'll penalise drivers of petrol/diesel cars accordingly, but not to the ridiculous levels you've quoted.

    I'd certainly be willing to pay a reasonable premium on fuel and road tax, in order to keep my petrol or diesel car, and in terms of emissions, whilst no doubt they'll tighten up on it, they'll also have to be realistic.



    Lol... Bring it on! I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck what people think. If *I* want to drive a petrol or diesel car, whilst doing so remains legal, I'll do it, if for no other reason than refusing to 'conform to the norm'!! But mostly because I insist on driving being fun.



    Marco [refuses to be brainwashed or controlled by 'the system'].
    Ah Marco,

    I posted some mad figures to illustrate the direction in which we will be pushed, but I wasn't quoting anyone, these figures were for illustrative purposes only (although just how "ridiculous" those figures will look in five or so years, we shall see).

    And as for emissions regulations, and how realistic they will be about them, we'll see. Conservatives, and Realistic, the two words don't even rhyme.

    I know there will be a few people who can either afford to stick with petrol/diesel car ownership, or are prepared to spend beyond their means in order to "make a stand", but your average joe is at some point going to be compelled to "conform" for economic reasons. I count myself among their number, and while I sure as shit don't want to be forced to move from internal combustion to electric, I'm also realistic about the possibility.

    On the subject of "conforming to the norm", most of us are already doing that without thinking about it. Hands up everyone who drives a diesel? Wow, that's a lot of hands. Mostly they are popular because they give decent performance and reasonable mpg. Diesel fuel costs (compared to petrol) has been rising at some rate of knots for some years now, yet we still buy them. Is this a big "Fuck you" to the government? No, its because driving diesels is still economically viable. There may come a point where diesel fuel is so much more expensive than petrol that we abandon diesels in droves and move to petrol cars. We are not being brainwashed, but we are being manipulated.

    And the same will happen with ownership of electric cars. It's got nothing to do with "brainwashing" and everything to do with the alternative no longer being affordable.

    Also I shouldn't have put in the "character assassination" paragraph, as NONE OF US give a flying fuck what other people think (except maybe a handful, and they're saying nowt.)

    Oh and while I've got you on the line, the 50mph limit is not a French thing. No one driving any amount in England can fail to see that in recent years many of the previous "national speed limit" roads have been reduced to 50mph, one of the best known examples (if you're a biker) is the blanket 50mph limit on the Cat and Fiddle imposed about 12 years ago with helicopter enforcement. So you can count yourself lucky Marco!
    'I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested'

  4. #1514
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 78,143
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no safety issue, you can already buy a hydrogen fuel cell car.
    I disagree. For me, there's definitely a safety issue; the question is simply how serious it is. It won't apply to me though, as I'll never be driving a Hydrogen-fuelled car.

    Try putting a naked flame near an empty petrol tank and see what happens. Diesel won't blow but then you are driving around giving everyone asthma and cancer. It's all a trade off.
    I agree about it all being a trade-off, but in normal circumstances a naked flame will not be near the petrol tank of your car, so in that environment, petrol is as safe as any flammable liquid can be.

    Liquid hydrogen is dangerous in ways [which petrol isn't] outside of its extreme flammability, and that's why, when used as a fuel, it's *potentially* overall more dangerous.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  5. #1515
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,753
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

    Liquid hydrogen is dangerous in ways [which petrol isn't] outside of its extreme flammability, and that's why it's *potentially* overall more dangerous, when used as a fuel.

    Marco.
    It's dangerous if you deliberately explode it but why would you do that? It won't blow up in a collision if that's what you are thinking? In any case it is already been passed as safe in Europe and the US where standards for automotive safety are the highest in the world which would indicate that the risk level is small to none.

    Diesel has to go since the pollution levels are unacceptable. That's why they were faking all their tests. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of Government manipulating people like this there is a pretty strong case for reducing the number of diesel vehicles to an absolute minimum. I live near an 8 lane highway and in the summer if the wind is low the air quality is appalling. Fortunately there is mostly a stiff breeze blowing (or a gale) so it's not so bad. But in the recent weather I've not been able to open the window on some days.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  6. #1516
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Wakefield west yorkshire

    Posts: 1,286
    I'm James.

    Default

    I've been riding motorcycles for 32yrs and there's always been this thing of acknowledging a fellow biker, usually a nod, however bmw riders always seemed exemped , seemingly above the Japanese bike riders. I now ride a bmw and still the fookers don't nod!!!! Mebe should be in the FFS bit
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, tannoy dc4t]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

  7. #1517
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 78,143
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know there will be a few people who can either afford to stick with petrol/diesel car ownership, or are prepared to spend beyond their means in order to "make a stand", but your average joe is at some point going to be compelled to "conform" for economic reasons. I count myself among their number, and while I sure as shit don't want to be forced to move from internal combustion to electric, I'm also realistic about the possibility.
    I understand and accept that, but I'm not (and never will be) your 'average Joe'; not because I'm special or anything, but simply because I think and live differently from most people, largely due to the lifestyle I'm fortunate enough to lead.

    On the subject of "conforming to the norm", most of us are already doing that without thinking about it. Hands up everyone who drives a diesel? Wow, that's a lot of hands. Mostly they are popular because they give decent performance and reasonable mpg. Diesel fuel costs (compared to petrol) has been rising at some rate of knots for some years now, yet we still buy them. Is this a big "Fuck you" to the government? No, its because driving diesels is still economically viable. There may come a point where diesel fuel is so much more expensive than petrol that we abandon diesels in droves and move to petrol cars. We are not being brainwashed, but we are being manipulated.
    Manipulated perhaps as a by-product of being surreptitiously brainwashed?

    The main reason why I drive a performance diesel car is, rather obviously, because I enjoy its performance (torque), which you simply don't get with petrol cars of the same engine size. Secondly, and it's quite a distant second, is because I get more miles to the gallon than I would if my car was petrol driven.

    However, for me (within reason) diesel 'costs what it costs' [I almost never pay attention to the per-litre price]; I simply fill up the tank and pay whatever the total is. Unless it goes up to some crazy price, like 20 a litre, I shall continue buying it and driving a performance diesel car, as I can afford it - especially as I only do, on average, 30-40 miles a week.

    The only time my car does significant mileage, is when I go down south (or up north) within the UK, or take it on holiday abroad - and that's no more than once or twice a year.

    And the same will happen with ownership of electric cars. It's got nothing to do with "brainwashing" and everything to do with the alternative no longer being affordable.
    Sure, but that will only apply to your 'average Joe' (to coin your phrase).

    Oh and while I've got you on the line, the 50mph limit is not a French thing. No one driving any amount in England can fail to see that in recent years many of the previous "national speed limit" roads have been reduced to 50mph, one of the best known examples (if you're a biker) is the blanket 50mph limit on the Cat and Fiddle imposed about 12 years ago with helicopter enforcement. So you can count yourself lucky Marco!
    Lol... Why do you think I live where I do?

    I will always seek to divorce myself as far as possible from the worst effects of modern society!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  8. #1518
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 78,143
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's dangerous if you deliberately explode it but why would you do that? It won't blow up in a collision if that's what you are thinking? In any case it is already been passed as safe in Europe and the US where standards for automotive safety are the highest in the world which would indicate that the risk level is small to none.
    And do you honestly think that the organisations concerned who've passed it as "safe" aren't in any way corrupt, or being controlled by their respective governments, in order to drive home an agenda?

    I don't agree at all that it's safe [certainly not safer than petrol], and my research shows that.

    Diesel has to go since the pollution levels are unacceptable. That's why they were faking all their tests. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of Government manipulating people like this there is a pretty strong case for reducing the number of diesel vehicles to an absolute minimum. I live near an 8 lane highway and in the summer if the wind is low the air quality is appalling. Fortunately there is mostly a stiff breeze blowing (or a gale) so it's not so bad. But in the recent weather I've not been able to open the window on some days.
    I completely agree, and of course sympathise. Plus, something definitely needs done.

    All I can do, of course, is look at my own situation and reasons for desiring to drive a performance diesel car. As I've said before, mine can lay dormant 5 days of the week. It's used 100% for personal pleasure and mostly short journeys.

    This week, for example, I've driven the grand total of 25 miles, and that's not liable to go up much by the time the week ends, so I'm by no means a major diesel polluter.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  9. #1519
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,753
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And do you honestly think that the organisations concerned who've passed it as "safe" aren't in any way corrupt, or being controlled by their respective governments, in order to drive home their agendas?

    I don't agree at all that it's safe [certainly not safer than petrol], and research shows that.



    I completely agree with that, and of course sympathise. Plus, something definitely needs done.

    All I can do, of course, is look at my own situation and reasons for desiring to drive a performance diesel car. As I've said before, mine can lay dormant 5 days of the week. It's used 100% for personal pleasure and mostly short journeys.

    This week, for example, I've driven the grand total of 25 miles, and that's not liable to go up much by the time the week ends, so I'm by no means a major diesel polluter.

    Marco.
    I think if there was a safety issue it would be pretty big news. Not everyone is controlled by the government and the technology isn't new.

    As far as owning a diesel is concerned it's fine providing there are not a lot of them. It's the numbers that have become a problem. You've got to get the masses to drive something else, get the percentages right down. If only a few percent of people stick to diesels just because they prefer them at an enthusiast level that won't be an issue. Buying a new one might be though.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  10. #1520
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 78,143
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think if there was a safety issue it would be pretty big news. Not everyone is controlled by the government and the technology isn't new.
    Sure, but the fact is it's not been around for long enough yet, properly implemented as a fuel for motor vehicles, for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn on its safety in that context. That's why I don't 'buy' any of the claims currently being made on how safe it supposedly is.

    As far a owning a diesel is concerned it's fine providing there are not a lot of them. It's the numbers that have become a problem. You've got to get the masses to drive something else, get the percentages right down. If only a few percent of people stick to diesels just because they prefer them at an enthusiast level that won't be an issue. Buying a new one might be though.
    The bit in bold applies to me. Also, I've never bought a brand new car in my life, diesel or otherwise, quite simply as they deteriorate too quickly in value. I prefer to benefit from someone else having taken that financial hit.

    Therefore, the last bit won't apply to me. Plus, for the foreseeable future (certainly within my driving lifetime), they'll be plenty of secondhand diesel cars available, especially performance ones, if the cost of diesel rises substantially, and people shun big diesel cars for reasons of economy or otherwise.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •