+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 609 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Are folk aware of the potentially crippling costs of running an all electric car?

With modern hybrid vehicles it is clear that some parts are monstrously expensive to replace.

Taking the Toyota Prius as an example.

A new battery pack for instance will cost thousands of pounds. See here: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ent-cost-guide You will probably find the shown dollar prices equate to pound prices in this country.

Projected and actual battery life seems good, but there will be exceptions of course.

Electric motor/transmission units. These have been known to fail and in the UK expect possible cost of replacement new parts to be maybe £4000 to £5000.

Doesn't seem to be much info out there, but I found this: http://www.priusonline.com/22-toyota...transaxle.html

All the above will apply to wholly electric cars. Just think, if you are unlucky enough to experience battery and transmission failure, you could have a ten grand bill or a scrap car.
    I can't help thinking that the pushing of smart meters for the home is something to do with ways of charging us more for energy used in electric cars.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

a bigger issue will be charging them. a good chunk of population wont have a driveway. what happens in block of flats etc. dont think the govt have thought this through, or are determined to get all the poor folk on the bus
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

So instead of burning fossil fuels in our cars, they will be burning them at the electric company. And on hot summer days many electric companies are already running in the red! Causing rolling brown outs to conserve power. So, if everyone has an electric car, how many more power plants will be needed to supply the power? It will probably be a greater increase in electrical draw than we use all together now! More than doubling our usage. So how much will it cost to build all these extra power plants? And what will that do to the cost of electricity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    So instead of burning fossil fuels in our cars, they will be burning them at the electric company
    Exactly.

In this country, I can envisage coal being once again adopted as a major fuel resource. The reserves are still massive and clean ways of using it exist. And the technology now exists to mine what was inaccessible.

Renewable energy still has a long way to go and the depressing alternative of nuclear power is to be avoided if at all possible.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not true Geoff, once fusion is sorted. Limitless clean energy.

No doubt they will find a way to make us pay through the nose for it though.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post

No doubt they will find a way to make us pay through the nose for it though.
    been promising limitless clean energy for years. Wont happen and we will just go back to living in mud huts
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Fusion is just a pipe dream so far. Cold fusion even more of one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It will happen guys. Might take a few years admittedly.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-uk-...fusion-reactor
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Car insurance renewal £631 quoted. For a sub 1000cc small hatchback driven by a pensioner with a clean licence and no claims and mileage under 4000 miles a year. Ridiculous. I shall have to haggle with them as I usually do.
    What?? I pay less than that for my Mercedes E63 AMG with business use!.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    What?? I pay less than that for my Mercedes E63 AMG with business use!
    It's the area. Oh. And I forgot to mention my full NCB discount.

+ Reply to Thread