+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 609 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed...if you're willing to fork out for the fuel bills. Count me out, as I don't consider it practical. I prefer my diesel version of a 'Grand Tourer', where if I keep it at around 70mph, I can get approximately 35-40 miles to the gallon, and that's with a 3.5L engine!

If I fill the tank up full before I leave home, I can get all the way down to Dover, and well into France [also in complete comfort, as the engine is smooth and effortless], before having to fill up again. You could never do that in a big V8 or V12. You'd be lucky to get half of that mileage.

Marco.
    So your engine choice IS determined by fuel economy! Exactly the point I was making earlier! And when (if) diesel fuel and servicing cost increases make running your car more expensive than a petrol version, then buying that petrol version will look highly attractive. Would you still resist, just to show that you refuse to be manipulated (brainwashed)? No, that's what a mental person would do.

I'm sounding like I'm trying to promote electric cars, and nothing could be further from the truth. What I am trying to do is defend people's buying choices, and show that those choices are often manipulated by outside forces. And no one is immune, not me, not you.

And it's better that I play my music while Mrs. Pony is out, as she considers most of my stuff to be, at best, shite. In fact I don't know anyone who likes my music choices, and I couldn't give the furry crack of a rat's arse about that.

Vive la difference!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    And it's better that I play my music while Mrs. Pony is out, as she considers most of my stuff to be, at best, shite. In fact I don't know anyone who likes my music choices, and I couldn't give the furry crack of a rat's arse about that.
    Vive la difference!
    Luckily I only have myself to please so my 'shite' is ok with me..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

Exactly! I don't play music for the entertainment of others, those people are called DJ's, or nuisance neighbours or something...

And Mrs. P is virtually untrainable, although she has learnt to sit, and shake hands. Still craps on the carpet though.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

And Mrs. P is virtually untrainable, although she has learnt to sit, and shake hands. Still craps on the carpet though.
    Classic Steve... you are definitely the funniest on here....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

As this thread is about cars/bikes....

I am thinking again to get a bike as I miss the thrill.....

It has to be some sort of cruiser type as my legs are so short so maybe a Yam Virago 535...
    Bev

I'm Ian.

I miss my bikes but my health isn't up to it these days. I live not too far from Bury hill in West Sussex which is like a magnet for bikers on a nice Sunday and I love hearing some plastic rocket ship getting it's bollocks wrung or a fiery Ducati thundering in the distance The A272 is a fantastic road on a bike but the police patrol it mercilessly now but I used to thrash my old Yamaha RD's to within an inch of their lives back in the day.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Steve.

Hi Bev,

Cruiser bikes are the ideal bike for the vertically challenged. Anita is only about 5'3" and also has several health problems including lupus, fibromyalgia and Morton's Neuroma. The low seat height and 'forward controls' make riding her Hyosung Aquilla 650 so much easier than her Kawasaki ER-6 and Honda CBR 400. Very easy to control too.

Ian, I bet you wish you'd kept your old RD. The values of these bikes have skyrocketed in recent years. I know someone selling an RD400 with coffin tank in white with red "speed blocks". If I could afford, I'd have it in an instant. I'd buy a leather bomber jacket, a studded leather belt, some Doc Martens and I'd be back to my youth. What joy!

I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning!

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Ian.

Hi Bev,

Cruiser bikes are the ideal bike for the vertically challenged. Anita is only about 5'3" and also has several health problems including lupus, fibromyalgia and Morton's Neuroma. The low seat height and 'forward controls' make riding her Hyosung Aquilla 650 so much easier than her Kawasaki ER-6 and Honda CBR 400. Very easy to control too.

Ian, I bet you wish you'd kept your old RD. The values of these bikes have skyrocketed in recent years. I know someone selling an RD400 with coffin tank in white with red "speed blocks". If I could afford, I'd have it in an instant. I'd buy a leather bomber jacket, a studded leather belt, some Doc Martens and I'd be back to my youth. What joy!

I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning!
    You're not wrong Steve, I just love the way a two stroke gives you it's power, nothing, nothing, nothing then BANG, all of it and of course that lovely aroma. I had two 250's and a 400 and a Suzuki X7 which was a fragile thing but it really was quick. I wanted a 350 LC but never did own one and like you say the prices now are prohibitive.

The last RD250 and the X7
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    As this thread is about cars/bikes....

I am thinking again to get a bike as I miss the thrill.....

It has to be some sort of cruiser type as my legs are so short so maybe a Yam Virago 535...
    Here you go Bev. Nice and low, not too heavy either.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...Cruiser&page=1

Low mileage with extras. Overpriced of course being a dealer, but at least it's a reliable model. Well reviewed too.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

So your engine choice IS determined by fuel economy! Exactly the point I was making earlier!
    Lol - what are you like! Not exactly, if economy *really* mattered, I wouldn't be driving a car with a 3.5 litre engine. I'd be going around in a Chevrolet Matiz!

The point is, economy is a consideration when I'm driving nearly 2000 miles around Europe, but not when I'm at home doing 40-odd a week.... And yes, if I didn't need to use my car occasionally as a 'continental cruiser', I'd have a sexy big V8! And no, I'm not paying road tax and insurance on two separate cars

The car I've got was chosen on the basis of how much performance/fun/practicality/economy I could get, under £20k (my then budget) from a 4-door diesel saloon, which was different from the norm [hate driving what every other bugger has], and equipped to take four people abroad in comfort.

In that respect, nothing else other than what I ended up buying, ticked those boxes better

And when (if) diesel fuel and servicing cost increases make running your car more expensive than a petrol version, then buying that petrol version will look highly attractive. Would you still resist, just to show that you refuse to be manipulated (brainwashed)? No, that's what a mental person would do.
    No, but that's not the argument. I'd defo go from diesel to petrol, if necessary, but NEVER *EVER* to an electric car!! As long as it's got a fast combustion engine, under the hood (that sounds good), I'm in

I'm sounding like I'm trying to promote electric cars, and nothing could be further from the truth. What I am trying to do is defend people's buying choices, and show that those choices are often manipulated by outside forces. And no one is immune, not me, not you.
    I'm not saying I'm immune (no one is), just not very easily influenced or manipulated by others. One of my biggest pet hates now is the term 'trending'. If I notice that something is 'trending', I'll seek to do or have the exact opposite! I abhor sheep-like behaviour with a passion. I've always been more of a leader than a follower.

Overall, I actively shun most aspects today of what is considered as 'the norm', and divorce myself as far as possible from 'the system' (government control and brainwashing). I simply insist on being an individual, and most importantly of all, a free-thinker/non-conformist.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread