+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 609 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187587 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, he needs to remember that he's 47 now, not 27!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up Brabus D6-III Eco Power Xtra Tuning kit - **BARGAIN**

Btw, just in case any Merc drivers here may be interested: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...334#post873334

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Picking up the Brabster today, so looking forward to seeing what difference the Bilstein shocks have made!

Quality stuff, check this out:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

I remember way back in the late eighties owning a Kawasaki GPz1000RX which had around 125hp and weighed around 250kgs. I absolutely loved that bike but Jesus it was fast. Tramping down those flat Lincolnshire roads back then was some bloody experience. Yes, I so wish I could do it all again but severe osteoarthritis in my left knee probably wouldn't allow it any more, that and all of the bloody cameras around these days.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    all of the bloody cameras around these days.
    Yes. The cameras worry me too. Fortunately I only have a 125 scooter at the moment (apart from the cars).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I remember way back in the late eighties owning a Kawasaki GPz1000RX which had around 125hp and weighed around 250kgs. I absolutely loved that bike but Jesus it was fast. Tramping down those flat Lincolnshire roads back then was some bloody experience. Yes, I so wish I could do it all again but severe osteoarthritis in my left knee probably wouldn't allow it any more, that and all of the bloody cameras around these days.
    That sounded like fun, Shaun! And these days everyone needs a bit of fun in their lives, which is why I drive the kind of car I do and love it to bits

Speed cameras are only an issue if you're driving over the limit. 90% of the fun of driving a fast car comes from the thrill of accelerating up to the speed limit.

On a nice open road (of which there are plenty around North Wales), that initial 0-60/70mph can put a HUGE grin on your chops, especially in a race-tuned 3.5L turbo diesel, delivering nearly 600 ft lbs of torque [340bhp], and the sheer force pulls you back in your seat!

Plus, when you improve the handling of the car considerably, as I've done (with lowered sports suspension, sports discs/brakes, etc, and 19" wheels/low-profile tyres), so that you can throw it round bends in country lanes, as safely and as fast as your nerves can take it (lol), that's also a big part of the fun...

I honestly derive more pleasure these days from tweaking my car [and enjoying the improved driving experience afterwards] than I do my hi-fi system!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

Yes I agree Geoff and I agree Marco. That 1000RX would do 0-60 in around three seconds and a whole quarter mile in just over twelve but wherever I used to go I seldom did below 90. Now, the main route down through Lincolnshire to Peterborough is completely lined with cameras. Yes OK, possibly thanks to people like me back in the eighties/nineties but there are so many cameras down that route. The last bike I had was a Kawasaki VN1500 which slowed me down a lot as it was basically a Harley clone but with a much more flexible engine. That was back around 2001 where upon I had given up trying to outpace everyone and just settled down to a really nice, enjoyable ride around the countryside of Lincolnshire. As I am now back living in this gorgeous county of flat endless roads I am feeling that pull again. Oh dear...!

I'm Geoff.

I am feeling that pull again. Oh dear...!
    I know the feeling Shaun! The itch is still there.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    90% of the fun of driving a fast car comes from the thrill of accelerating up to the speed limit.

On a nice open road (of which there are plenty around North Wales), that initial 0-60/70mph can put a HUGE grin on your chops
    Totally agree with that. I've have/have had bikes that are fast and powerful with lunatic high speed capability but the real fun for me at least is the long winding bends, twisty turns etc where one has to use the gearbox a bit, manoeuvre the bike in and out of the bends. Doesn't matter if it's a Fireblade or an MZ! My favourite road for that is the A423 out of Coventry and down into Oxfordshire. Early on a Sunday morning, no traffic. It's life affirming! I always found bombing down the motorway a little perfunctory.

Cheers

Loz

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I know the feeling Shaun! The itch is still there.
    Oh Geoff, isn't it just...!
    I would love a fully equipped VN1700 with screen, back rest and colour matched panniers but maybe not at over twelve grand. I think of the hi-fi that would buy me and how much safer it would be.

+ Reply to Thread