+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 611 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I pay less than that for a Caterham 7 with just over 200 BHP.
    It's the area. The town's full of useless buggers that can't drive and the car crime is high too, so I get lumbered.

My brother paid a lot less than that last year to cover both a sporty new VW Eos and a new Ssangyong Korando Sport pickup together. He's down in the West Country.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That was a painful experience. £586 to renew the car insurance! And that was after a bit of haggling to get it down from the quoted £651. I'm a pensioner with no claims, driving a sub 1000cc car and insured as driving less than 5000 miles a year.

If I lived out in the sticks, I'd probably pay a third of that.

That dosh could have bought some Hi-Fi!
    It seems that car insurance has gone up. Several friends remarked about this. Last year my own insurance was £121.60, a few days ago, they wanted £149.11, I said that this was a big increase, they reduced it to £137.11. This is for classic car comprehensive insurance, limited mileage, including breakdown recovery.

You perhaps should shop around, if you find cheaper, I think you have 14 days to to cancel your insurance and get your money back, well nearly all of it as you may have used a few days insurance.

My present insurance company told me of this when my previous company were playing silly bu**ers. I had insurance for a 1.7 Volvo, changed to the same model and year car, but this had only a 1.4 engine. The policy went up considerably, and they would not listen to reason. I took the insurance. Then I phoned another company, told them the story, they said cancel the original insurance, as I had 14 days to do that. I insured with the new company for less.

Strangely, a few years ago third party was not necessarily cheaper than comprehensive, I don't know about now.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Strangely, a few years ago third party was not necessarily cheaper than comprehensive, I don't know about now.
    Last year, out of curiosity, I asked my insurer how much TPFT cover would be and the quote was higher than fully comp!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Haven't posted on here in ages... I've been quiet when its comes to cars for most of this year TBH. Bottled buying an E61 M5 touring earlier on this year; couldn't bring myself to part with c£20k for a car that may do c2k miles a year... Thought a lot about running it as my everyday car; even with only doing 4k miles a year, but the running costs and maintenance costs would have been silly really... One day though, I will have a V10

So; the latest is that I'm running another BMW E39 530i as my daily car; my last one was unfortunately written off for me in Manchester whilst I was in a meeting! :roll:

It's in for some body work in a few weeks (first black car I've ever owned), other than that, it'll stay as OEM as possible and just be maintained

However, I have bought myself a 1988 CRX shell that's been seam welded and had a half-cage professionally fitted along with a new pedal box and new welded seat rails to allow for a fatty like me to sit in it, comfortably

It's currently being flocked everywhere and will have 2 seats fitted and a fully flocked rear, empty otherwise

As for the engine, the shell's been converted to RW, so I'm fitting a charged F20C S2K engine in it The engines being cleaned/honed/skimmed as we speak with a potential head re0-build as the engine was 'scrapped' initially for smoking too much. Whoever did it clearly had no idea they were being conned as there's zilch wrong with it, just loose valve seats/valve guides etc, just waiting for the charger kit and bits from over the Pond (sent via snail mail as I'm in no rush)

And I think I'm gonna treat myself to some of these: http://www.icbmotorsport.com/ssrgt175x15o.html

Already bought the Toyo 888s for them
    My Office : M2 Mac Mini Pro > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via Apple Music > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > Arcam Alpha 10 integrated > B&W 602 S3s or AE109 speakers - Van Damme cables

I'm Geoff.

Interesting new AMG Merc! (it's quite nippy )

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/mer...-and-info-news

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries, John. Just keep us posted

Respect on the car sharing thing, btw. More folks should be doing that!

Marco.
    Well I put about 2/3rds of a tank of Texaco Supreme on top of a 1/3rd of BP Ultimate last Friday and have been running it all week. Car feels a bit friskier I think and surprisingly noticeable off-boost, which is below about 1400 rpm for my car, definitely pulls better low down.

Car sharing is working very well. There are four of us sharing a 65 mile round trip every day so it's a serious saving in fuel and depreciation. Whole thing hinges on everyone being on time though.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, John. Try a full tank next time!

Yup, I'm all for car sharing like that. Do you all work for the same company, then? If so, you can all have a good bitch about your bosses and shit that goes on, during the journey... That's what normally happens

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, John. Try a full tank next time!

Yup, I'm all for car sharing like that. Do you all work for the same company, then? If so, you can all have a good bitch about your bosses and shit that goes on, during the journey... That's what normally happens

Marco.
    Yes, all work at the same place. We've moved on a bit now conversation wise to how things will be done when *we* rule the world

What we lack in wisdom we make up for in opinion
    Last edited by JohnJo; 16-09-2017 at 18:44.

I'm Geoff.

Oh dear. M3 by Winchester closed in both directions. That's a bugger of a place for it to happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-41371699

I'm Justin.

Just spent two days driving this Macan S. Extraordinarily good considering the size of the beast. Proves you can get a big SUV type machine to handle well and go fast.

If you ask me do I like it, then the answer is no. It is pointlessly big for my needs. But I was impressed.

Last edited by User211; 23-09-2017 at 19:01.

+ Reply to Thread