+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 611 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207607 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 6102

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    That Macan S was insured by Porsche for £62,500. When I got I back to the garage as my Boxster was in for some work, I told the service engineer what a fine piece of mechanical engineering it was. And it is.

The instant retort was that I couldn't have it because it had already been sold. Was I supposed to look disappointed or was it just a statement of fact?

£62K is insane but it shits all over a Merc GLA at half the price - my wife's new toy. So you get something for the price.

I had no respect for them until now.
    I'm struggling to get my head round £40k for a car never mind £60k

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I could probably think of a hundred cars I'd buy for that money, before I'd touch that Macan, or indeed ANY 'boresville' car of that type, so bollox to it... Woteva yer into, though

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Well I put about 2/3rds of a tank of Texaco Supreme on top of a 1/3rd of BP Ultimate last Friday and have been running it all week. Car feels a bit friskier I think and surprisingly noticeable off-boost, which is below about 1400 rpm for my car, definitely pulls better low down.
    Hi John,

Have you tried a full tank of the Texaco yet?

This is probably the key to its efficacy (with premium fuels, for me, it's all down to the effectiveness of the cleaning agents used): http://www.texaco.com/fuels.html and:http://www.techron.com/

...and in this case, the repeated use of Techron...

I'm now using their Supreme diesel exclusively, as the Brabster unquestionably performs better with it, both in terms of fuel economy and performance

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi John,

Have you tried a full tank of the Texaco yet?
    [/url]

Marco.
    Yes, still about 1/3rd of it left. Car is running very well on it, only concern is a slight bit of injector noise/knock under load which I don't *think* was there with BP Ultimate. I was planning to fill with Ultimate next time to check/compare. It's a relatively new car to me so I'm still getting a feel for it especially since my weekly mileage is well down. Yes, cleaning agents are key and probably take a few tankfulls to give full gains.

Here she is, Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI 150

[IMG][/IMG]

Interesting... Can't see how a change of fuel would cause such a noise, unless the cleaning additives in the Texaco have dislodged some 'gunk', which previously was hiding an issue needing fixed?

I know that can sometimes be the effect of using an engine flush, prior to carrying out an oil change, as often a load of 'gunk' can to an extent be holding some things together, especially in terms of exposing knocks and rattles that previously existed, but were simply being dampened by said 'gunk'....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm John.

Interesting... Can't see how a change of fuel would cause such a noise, unless the cleaning additives in the Texaco have dislodged some 'gunk', which previously was hiding an issue needing fixed?

I know that can sometimes be the effect of using an engine flush, prior to carrying out an oil change.

Marco.
    Don't know, maybe my imagination. I'll try the BP and see what happens.

I'm John.

Filled with BP Ultimate this evening and the noise is gone. Car feels like it's happier running on Ultimate so I'll stick with it. Definitely some injector knock with the Texaco fuel in my car but thanks for the heads up Marco, well worth trying.

Fair enough, mate. Interesting findings all the same! I'm convinced that some fuels suit certain cars more than others.... BP Ultimate, in mine, is cack in comparison with the Texaco.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm drunk.

Work booked me a car (intermediate manual) to perform a couple of service visits to some of our customers. It would appear the rental gods must have been smiling on me, as I somewhat unexpectedly received this.

I'm Justin.

I could probably think of a hundred cars I'd buy for that money, before I'd touch that Macan, or indeed ANY 'boresville' car of that type, so bollox to it... Woteva yer into, though

Marco.
    They can be made to work well. That's the point. Like it or hate it.

+ Reply to Thread