+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 611 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188588 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up The Bilsteins do the biz!

So.... Picked up the Brabster last night, driving it back from Oswestry (where my mechanic has his place), and the improvement in ride quality is palpable!

When the car went through its MOT recently, one of the advisories was some wear in the front shocks, which was fair enough, as they were still the original ones fitted to the car, which has now done just over 80k miles... Upon inspection, once they'd been removed, you could obviously see that they were worn, not badly, but enough to impact on their performance.

Therefore, what we do in instances like that is not simply replace like for like, but significantly improve on what was there to start with, in order to make the car BETTER than before, and the Bilstein shocks, just like everything else that's been fitted so far in that respect, are a totally different ball game from the stock items, as indeed they should be at £320 (a pair) +VAT and fitting.

The biggest improvement so far (as I haven't had the chance yet to throw the car round any major corners) is the ride quality, in terms of how much better now you're cushioned from the effects of bumpy roads, where previously you could really feel the effect of driving on poor road surfaces (taking into consideration the effect of having a lowered sports suspension and low-profile tyres), now all you can feel is a gentle 'push', as the car glides gazelle-like over humps and bumps - and that's not simply because the old shocks were worn, but because the new ones are simply made much better, as even when I first got it, the car has never driven *this* good!

So, job done. I'm suitably impressed enough with the Bilsteins to have the same fitted to the rear, which will no doubt improve things further. If anyone is considering some top-notch aftermarket shock absorbers for their car, then I can thoroughly recommend the Bilstein B6 mono-tube shocks.

I'm looking forward now to testing the car's handling on some local country lanes later, and it's a lovely day for a nice drive, so will probably take my dad out for lunch to a nice country pub. Happy days

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

suspension is often the least thought of for performance and safety. probably coz you cant see it in action etc.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

So the car is now unbalanced front to rear?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Tyres and suspension, front compared to rear often don't match.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Lol - not at all. Certainly doesn't feel that way!

I just wanted to be sure that the Bilsteins made a significant enough improvement at the front, where the effect is likely to be more pronounced, before shelling out another £500+ (supplied and fitted) on rear shocks. Sensible, no?

Therefore, if the car's this good 'unbalanced', then one can only drool at what it'll be like 'balanced', when the upgraded rear shocks have been fitted!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

I doubt that you have taken it anywhere near the limit on public roads to find out if it is well balanced or not.
    That just would not be sensible.

When I swapped the shocks on my car, I did front and rear at the same time replacing my Bilsteins for something better/more suited to my car.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Tyres and suspension, front compared to rear often don't match.
    Yeah, good point. The tyres, front and back are a different size. The rears are significantly wider and lower profile (255/30/ZR19) than the front (225/35/ZR19). I suspect the shocks will be different too, in that respect.

Marco.
    Main System

I doubt that you have taken it anywhere near the limit on public roads to find out if it is well balanced or not.
    That just would not be sensible.

When I swapped the shocks on my car, I did front and rear at the same time replacing my Bilsteins for something better/more suited to my car.
    What did you got for instead? In terms of "better", I guess that's subjective, and also as you say, car-dependent

And yes, you're right, as far as taking the car to its limits. Of course not. That's one for when it goes onto the track. However, in the meantime, the improvement in ride quality is significant enough to have made the job of replacing/upgrading the front shocks highly worthwhile!

I'll get the rears done after the summer hols.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    suspension is often the least thought of for performance and safety. probably coz you cant see it in action etc.
    Indeed, mate. For me, there's hee-haw point in tuning a car's engine to near its limits, if you don't also attend to the 'less sexy' bits too, which actually keep you on the road!

Plus, STABILITY, EFFORTLESSNESS and COMFORT, at speed, for me is vital. No point in being able to go fast, it it isn't also FUN and, above all, SAFE.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

I currently run Avo adjustable dampers with adjustable spring platforms. A set of Nitron or similar would be nice.
    Last edited by CageyH; 15-06-2017 at 11:23.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread