Page 152 of 609 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Grant.

had 3 tyres fitted this afternoon.. got a decent deal.£144
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is that a French thing? That certainly isn't the case here (in Wales). You can drive up to the national speed limit almost anywhere on country roads, so in that respect I'm still having plenty of fun.

Besides, as I've said before, having a fast car, for me, is mostly about the acceleration (0-60), not the top speed, which you simply can't use. That's why, given a choice, I'd always take a car that, say, had a maximum speed of 90mph, but was blisteringly quick getting there, over one with, say, a top speed of 140mph, but a much slower 0-60.

Marco.
    Yes, a French road safety initiative. Blanket 80km/h speed limit on the departmental roads.
    Comes into force on 1st July.

It may be time to get rid of the 7, and get something the family can enjoy. I am thinking of a 356 Speedster replica.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

I take your point, and I'm sure that, in due course, they'll penalise drivers of petrol/diesel cars accordingly, but not to the ridiculous levels you've quoted.

I'd certainly be willing to pay a reasonable premium on fuel and road tax, in order to keep my petrol or diesel car, and in terms of emissions, whilst no doubt they'll tighten up on it, they'll also have to be realistic.

Lol... Bring it on! I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck what people think. If *I* want to drive a petrol or diesel car, whilst doing so remains legal, I'll do it, if for no other reason than refusing to 'conform to the norm'!! But mostly because I insist on driving being fun.

Marco [refuses to be brainwashed or controlled by 'the system'].
    Ah Marco,

I posted some mad figures to illustrate the direction in which we will be pushed, but I wasn't quoting anyone, these figures were for illustrative purposes only (although just how "ridiculous" those figures will look in five or so years, we shall see).

And as for emissions regulations, and how realistic they will be about them, we'll see. Conservatives, and Realistic, the two words don't even rhyme.

I know there will be a few people who can either afford to stick with petrol/diesel car ownership, or are prepared to spend beyond their means in order to "make a stand", but your average joe is at some point going to be compelled to "conform" for economic reasons. I count myself among their number, and while I sure as shit don't want to be forced to move from internal combustion to electric, I'm also realistic about the possibility.

On the subject of "conforming to the norm", most of us are already doing that without thinking about it. Hands up everyone who drives a diesel? Wow, that's a lot of hands. Mostly they are popular because they give decent performance and reasonable mpg. Diesel fuel costs (compared to petrol) has been rising at some rate of knots for some years now, yet we still buy them. Is this a big "Fuck you" to the government? No, its because driving diesels is still economically viable. There may come a point where diesel fuel is so much more expensive than petrol that we abandon diesels in droves and move to petrol cars. We are not being brainwashed, but we are being manipulated.

And the same will happen with ownership of electric cars. It's got nothing to do with "brainwashing" and everything to do with the alternative no longer being affordable.

Also I shouldn't have put in the "character assassination" paragraph, as NONE OF US give a flying fuck what other people think (except maybe a handful, and they're saying nowt.)

Oh and while I've got you on the line, the 50mph limit is not a French thing. No one driving any amount in England can fail to see that in recent years many of the previous "national speed limit" roads have been reduced to 50mph, one of the best known examples (if you're a biker) is the blanket 50mph limit on the Cat and Fiddle imposed about 12 years ago with helicopter enforcement. So you can count yourself lucky Marco!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no safety issue, you can already buy a hydrogen fuel cell car.
    I disagree. For me, there's definitely a safety issue; the question is simply how serious it is. It won't apply to me though, as I'll never be driving a Hydrogen-fuelled car.

Try putting a naked flame near an empty petrol tank and see what happens. Diesel won't blow but then you are driving around giving everyone asthma and cancer. It's all a trade off.
    I agree about it all being a trade-off, but in normal circumstances a naked flame will not be near the petrol tank of your car, so in that environment, petrol is as safe as any flammable liquid can be.

Liquid hydrogen is dangerous in ways [which petrol isn't] outside of its extreme flammability, and that's why, when used as a fuel, it's *potentially* overall more dangerous.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Liquid hydrogen is dangerous in ways [which petrol isn't] outside of its extreme flammability, and that's why it's *potentially* overall more dangerous, when used as a fuel.

Marco.
    It's dangerous if you deliberately explode it but why would you do that? It won't blow up in a collision if that's what you are thinking? In any case it is already been passed as safe in Europe and the US where standards for automotive safety are the highest in the world which would indicate that the risk level is small to none.

Diesel has to go since the pollution levels are unacceptable. That's why they were faking all their tests. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of Government manipulating people like this there is a pretty strong case for reducing the number of diesel vehicles to an absolute minimum. I live near an 8 lane highway and in the summer if the wind is low the air quality is appalling. Fortunately there is mostly a stiff breeze blowing (or a gale) so it's not so bad. But in the recent weather I've not been able to open the window on some days.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I've been riding motorcycles for 32yrs and there's always been this thing of acknowledging a fellow biker, usually a nod, however bmw riders always seemed exemped , seemingly above the Japanese bike riders. I now ride a bmw and still the fookers don't nod!!!! Mebe should be in the FFS bit
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know there will be a few people who can either afford to stick with petrol/diesel car ownership, or are prepared to spend beyond their means in order to "make a stand", but your average joe is at some point going to be compelled to "conform" for economic reasons. I count myself among their number, and while I sure as shit don't want to be forced to move from internal combustion to electric, I'm also realistic about the possibility.
    I understand and accept that, but I'm not (and never will be) your 'average Joe'; not because I'm special or anything, but simply because I think and live differently from most people, largely due to the lifestyle I'm fortunate enough to lead.

On the subject of "conforming to the norm", most of us are already doing that without thinking about it. Hands up everyone who drives a diesel? Wow, that's a lot of hands. Mostly they are popular because they give decent performance and reasonable mpg. Diesel fuel costs (compared to petrol) has been rising at some rate of knots for some years now, yet we still buy them. Is this a big "Fuck you" to the government? No, its because driving diesels is still economically viable. There may come a point where diesel fuel is so much more expensive than petrol that we abandon diesels in droves and move to petrol cars. We are not being brainwashed, but we are being manipulated.
    Manipulated perhaps as a by-product of being surreptitiously brainwashed?

The main reason why I drive a performance diesel car is, rather obviously, because I enjoy its performance (torque), which you simply don't get with petrol cars of the same engine size. Secondly, and it's quite a distant second, is because I get more miles to the gallon than I would if my car was petrol driven.

However, for me (within reason) diesel 'costs what it costs' [I almost never pay attention to the per-litre price]; I simply fill up the tank and pay whatever the total is. Unless it goes up to some crazy price, like £20 a litre, I shall continue buying it and driving a performance diesel car, as I can afford it - especially as I only do, on average, 30-40 miles a week.

The only time my car does significant mileage, is when I go down south (or up north) within the UK, or take it on holiday abroad - and that's no more than once or twice a year.

And the same will happen with ownership of electric cars. It's got nothing to do with "brainwashing" and everything to do with the alternative no longer being affordable.
    Sure, but that will only apply to your 'average Joe' (to coin your phrase).

Oh and while I've got you on the line, the 50mph limit is not a French thing. No one driving any amount in England can fail to see that in recent years many of the previous "national speed limit" roads have been reduced to 50mph, one of the best known examples (if you're a biker) is the blanket 50mph limit on the Cat and Fiddle imposed about 12 years ago with helicopter enforcement. So you can count yourself lucky Marco!
    Lol... Why do you think I live where I do?

I will always seek to divorce myself as far as possible from the worst effects of modern society!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

It's dangerous if you deliberately explode it but why would you do that? It won't blow up in a collision if that's what you are thinking? In any case it is already been passed as safe in Europe and the US where standards for automotive safety are the highest in the world which would indicate that the risk level is small to none.
    And do you honestly think that the organisations concerned who've passed it as "safe" aren't in any way corrupt, or being controlled by their respective governments, in order to drive home an agenda?

I don't agree at all that it's safe [certainly not safer than petrol], and my research shows that.

Diesel has to go since the pollution levels are unacceptable. That's why they were faking all their tests. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of Government manipulating people like this there is a pretty strong case for reducing the number of diesel vehicles to an absolute minimum. I live near an 8 lane highway and in the summer if the wind is low the air quality is appalling. Fortunately there is mostly a stiff breeze blowing (or a gale) so it's not so bad. But in the recent weather I've not been able to open the window on some days.
    I completely agree, and of course sympathise. Plus, something definitely needs done.

All I can do, of course, is look at my own situation and reasons for desiring to drive a performance diesel car. As I've said before, mine can lay dormant 5 days of the week. It's used 100% for personal pleasure and mostly short journeys.

This week, for example, I've driven the grand total of 25 miles, and that's not liable to go up much by the time the week ends, so I'm by no means a major diesel polluter.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

And do you honestly think that the organisations concerned who've passed it as "safe" aren't in any way corrupt, or being controlled by their respective governments, in order to drive home their agendas?

I don't agree at all that it's safe [certainly not safer than petrol], and research shows that.

I completely agree with that, and of course sympathise. Plus, something definitely needs done.

All I can do, of course, is look at my own situation and reasons for desiring to drive a performance diesel car. As I've said before, mine can lay dormant 5 days of the week. It's used 100% for personal pleasure and mostly short journeys.

This week, for example, I've driven the grand total of 25 miles, and that's not liable to go up much by the time the week ends, so I'm by no means a major diesel polluter.

Marco.
    I think if there was a safety issue it would be pretty big news. Not everyone is controlled by the government and the technology isn't new.

As far as owning a diesel is concerned it's fine providing there are not a lot of them. It's the numbers that have become a problem. You've got to get the masses to drive something else, get the percentages right down. If only a few percent of people stick to diesels just because they prefer them at an enthusiast level that won't be an issue. Buying a new one might be though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I think if there was a safety issue it would be pretty big news. Not everyone is controlled by the government and the technology isn't new.
    Sure, but the fact is it's not been around for long enough yet, properly implemented as a fuel for motor vehicles, for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn on its safety in that context. That's why I don't 'buy' any of the claims currently being made on how safe it supposedly is.

As far a owning a diesel is concerned it's fine providing there are not a lot of them. It's the numbers that have become a problem. You've got to get the masses to drive something else, get the percentages right down. If only a few percent of people stick to diesels just because they prefer them at an enthusiast level that won't be an issue. Buying a new one might be though.
    The bit in bold applies to me. Also, I've never bought a brand new car in my life, diesel or otherwise, quite simply as they deteriorate too quickly in value. I prefer to benefit from someone else having taken that financial hit.

Therefore, the last bit won't apply to me. Plus, for the foreseeable future (certainly within my driving lifetime), they'll be plenty of secondhand diesel cars available, especially performance ones, if the cost of diesel rises substantially, and people shun big diesel cars for reasons of economy or otherwise.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread