+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 609 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191591 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Justin.

How.much does the Brabster weigh? Any idea?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    If not go and test drive one. Tis easy enough. But do it at the Porsche Experience at Silverstone. You need to learn how mid engines machines handle.

I am selling up for a Rimec Concept One version 2 at 1220 odd bhp anyway
    Hehehe... Not disputing any of that. However, do remember that I didn't buy the Brabster as a sports car; indeed it fundamentally *isn't* one!

It was bought to be a comfortable (and practical) tourer [to travel abroad in], capable of good fuel consumption, with a soupçon of FUN added (at a sensible price)! With that in mind, for £16k used, which is what I paid for it 2 years ago, name me another car I could've bought instead to fulfil the above brief that also:

a) Had 4 doors, a large boot and the ability to carry 4 people in complete comfort for many 100s of miles.

b) Minimum size 3-litre engine (for performance and 'effortlessness' on long journeys).

c) Economical on fuel (if I take it easy on motorways I can get 40 miles to the gallon).

d) Along with ALL of the above, the performance of a sports car.

e) Unique looks and individuality (as I can't stand driving the same car as tens of 1000s of others).

Give it yer best shot!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

How.much does the Brabster weigh? Any idea?
    Dunno, but I've shed a significant amount of what it had when I bought it, with some of the mods I've done.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

I made my car lighter. I emptied the ashtray!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

I got 41.7 driving into work the other day. Tis an hour's drive in the current jobbie.

The car very frequently drops to 800 rpm on the motorway. Just back off slowly on the peddle and it does it. Simple and effective.

But hey the performance you have achieved is impressive for the spend.
    That's the KEY, and what modding it has been all about. Honestly, in almost every conceivable way, it's TWICE the car now than it was when I bought it [and it was good then]!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I made my car lighter. I emptied the ashtray!
    Ha - I achieved a similar effect after having a HUGE FART!!

Marco.
    Main System

I got 41.7 driving into work the other day. Tis an hour's drive in the current jobbie.

The car very frequently drops to 800 rpm on the motorway. Just back off slowly on the peddle and it does it. Simple and effective.
    It's an epic fail on a) above, though!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's an epic fail on a) above, though!

Marco.
    True but if you need a trans-galactic comfort machine of considerable status and size get a Panamera.

I always think they are a bit wank but hey we all have different needs.

My sis has a Cayenne but that is just uncomfortable (seriously) and you'd hate the high ride position.

Face it a 911 doesn't fit your requirements anyway. You'll probably never be a Porsche boy

True but if you need a trans-galactic comfort machine of considerable status and size get a Panamera.
    Defo more my thang, but not sure it's tens thousands of pounds better than the Brabster..... You see, much as I cherish the 'SPPV principle' with hi-fi, I also do the same with 'BANG per buck', with cars

The Brabster isn't the best car on the road, or the best one ever built, far from it, BUT it's 100% tailored for my needs, makes me happy, and puts a big tick on the 'BANG per buck' box... And that's all that matters!

Right now at this point in my life, I wouldn't dream of dropping any more than £20k on a car, so whatever I buy for that amount MUST be the *absolute most* I can get for that money, which ticks all the right boxes for ME.

That approach most likely will change when both of us are fully retired and we simply want to 'spend up' before kicking the bucket, because, as they say, you can't take it with you... In which case, I'd be willing to spend much more on the right car!

My sis has a Cayenne but that is just uncomfortable (seriously) and you'd hate the high ride position.
    Soz, wouldn't take one of those things in a gift!

Face it a 911 doesn't fit your requirements anyway. You'll probably never be a Porsche boy
    Lol.. Nope, not at all. I love 911s, and by then my priorities will have changed, as when the old man's gone, it'll just be Del and I. The Brabster was bought to take both him (and my mum who sadly passed away just after I bought it), along with Del (and moi) on holidays to Italy.

When it's just the two of us, things will be different, and it'll be time to RAMP UP the fun-factor even more, while we're still young enough to enjoy it!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread