+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker advice needed

I'm laurence.

Hi, thanks for the quick replies.

Room size is 6m x 4m.

My Amp, which has not arrived yet is a Music Angel XDSE KT88 Valve Amp

My reason for mentioning floor standing speakers was simply the look, I do like the look of big tall speakers made of some luxury wood...But I will take any constructive criticism, or hints here

the valve specs are:

Output Power
    65 watts x 2 in ultra-linear mode 30watts x 2 for triode mode

Output Tube
    Power Tube adopts Shuguang KT88x 4

Frequency
    7Hz-70KHz +/-3 dB

Signal/Noise Ratio
    90dB

Input/Driver Tube
    6N1 x 2, 12AU7 x 2

Distortion
    Less than 1% at full power

Ohms
    4 ohms and 8 ohms

Consumption
    250w

Input Jack
    3 groups

I'm Paul.

I'd say from your room size and amplification that you could be looking for a sensitive floor stander and one that doesn't present too difficult a load. Castle Harlech or Severns comes to mind or for peanuts, something like the Celestion Ditton 33 or 15 models (very good indeed for the money), or one of the larger Tannoy sixes series such as the 611s or even the Mercury M3s. All of these would come in well within within budget. Also consider the KEF Q range (iQ5), and Focal Chorus floorstanders. You get a lot of speaker for your money these days. Blind buying is a risk but if you do it, make sure you buy something that's easy to move on. Any of the above would be easy enough to shift if you decided against them, all are sensitive enough for use with your amp, all are different but have their own positive qualities.

I'm Alan.

I have to say Paul ( @reffc ) is usually right on the money, he has made some excellent observations and suggestions and I really respect his experience... But I cannot let the recommendation of Castle Severn 2's slip by unchallenged! Not unless you spend every day listening to Norah Jones & Madeleine Peureux.... (nothing wring with this BTW, it's just a little limiting). The Severn 2 presents music in a warm cuddly way, female vocalists and acoustic instruments sound great until you get a busy piece and then the music gets downight messy, even with beefy Rotel & MF amps. They have a weird sense of putting 'brakes' on the music - there is little freedom or life IIRC.

Sounds odd, I know, but going from these to similar sized (and priced) small floorstanders like Rega Elas or Royd Minstrels really was a world away (though the little Royds are comparatively raucous, if great fun). These felt fast, rhythmic and punchy, while my abiding memory of the Castles is they are great for evening listening and dozing off. Not at all unpleasant, just, well, very relaxing.

Sorry to any and all Severn 2 owners who just spat their tea onto their keyboards! It's just my opinion and experience, I could very well be wrong.
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Paul.

True Alan. Severns are not for everyone or for every system as they can be laid back but we still don't know what Laurence favours sound-wise. I would certainly endorse your observations and second the recommendation for some of the used Rega floor standers as they seem decent value for money and are pretty competent loudspeakers.

I'm Alan.

Trudat.
    Best regards, Alan
    Also playing on AudioChews

I'm Neil.

Ah hello Alan I was just thinking about recommending trying some Minstrels, or Sapphires on Something Solid SL-24 stands given the budget...

It's so difficult giving speaker advice though as tastes are so different in this critical area. What sort of music do you like Tucup? This does help a lot with regard to trying to recommend (and ultimately try) stuff...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12