+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipod docks

I'm Steve.

Default Ipod docks

I have something like 600+ CD albums, which I play thru the Cdp, I have also burnt most of these into my Itunes Ipod library.. and I happily play these albums, whilst I work thru my ear buds, and 80gb Ipod.
    (which incidently is only just over a 1/3rd full)

It occured to me today that all of the "Hifi" Ipod docks I've seen(in the Hifi press, really miss the point..

Imagine a stylish dock that hooks into any hifi via a line in..
    It talks to a remote by wireless
    The remote has a standard Ipod display/click wheel, and is synched to your Ipod via Itunes. (Ie synch the Ipod, then synch the remote)
    Add a software function to the remote that lets you make a playlist of stuff you want to hear now as a "one off", and on the hoof..

Result = instant digital juke box, your entire CD collection instantly play able with out getting out of the chair..

OK not the highest of high-fi, but good enougth.. so why isn't there such a thing in the real world?? I'd buy one...

and I suspect that considering the numbers of Ipods sold, so would a million or so others..
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Or you could just use your computer as an audio source.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Sindelfingen View Post
    It occured to me today that all of the "Hifi" Ipod docks I've seen(in the Hifi press, really miss the point..

Imagine a stylish dock that hooks into any hifi via a line in..
    It talks to a remote by wireless
    The remote has a standard Ipod display/click wheel, and is synched to your Ipod via Itunes. (Ie synch the Ipod, then synch the remote)
    Add a software function to the remote that lets you make a playlist of stuff you want to hear now as a "one off", and on the hoof..

Result = instant digital juke box, your entire CD collection instantly play able with out getting out of the chair..

OK not the highest of high-fi, but good enougth.. so why isn't there such a thing in the real world?? I'd buy one...

and I suspect that considering the numbers of Ipods sold, so would a million or so others..
    It's called Sonos It's very popular with my customers.

If an iPod could be integrated in the way you want, don't you think Apple would already be marketing it?

Apple doesn't make it easy to get any meaningful feedback from an iPod; there's a video output for the OSD, but that isn't much use if you have no TV in the room - hence your request for a wireless feedback remote. The architecture just isn't there in an iPod (yet) to support the feature. Anyway, iPod isn't the be-all-and-end-all of digital music replay. I like them, and as soon as you dump Apples stupid low quality & restrictive compression format that comes gratis when you buy music from iTunes then an iPod becomes a really useful tool.

Sonos is pretty well established as the most user-friendly of the digital media players. There's some new product from the guys at Slim Devices that looks interesting. AFAIK this is streaming from the PC rather than the iPod itself, but I think it's worth a look - Squeezebox Duet

Regards

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Or you could just use your computer as an audio source.
    to be fair, I could use the pc as a source but I don't want to.. and not every body has the PC where the hifi is.. I'm totally used to navigating and selecting my tunes by just taking the ipod out of my pocket,I'd like to do the same at home.. I also find the ipod navigation much quicker than the itunes library..
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Frost View Post
    If an iPod could be integrated in the way you want, don't you think Apple would already be marketing it?
    Dunno the idea came to me in a blinding flash of inspiration when I was thinking about what "I" needed.. doesn't mean to say that apple have seriously considered it, for a start I don't think they have brought a "hi-fi" dock to the market iether, but some very high end manufacturers have..

Apple doesn't make it easy to get any meaningful feedback from an iPod; there's a video output for the OSD, but that isn't much use if you have no TV in the room - hence your request for a wireless feedback remote. The architecture just isn't there in an iPod (yet) to support the feature.
    Regards
    I can't argue with the above, but that isn't really a reason why it couldn't happen. The Ipod itself is a harddrive and some software, if they can update the software to sinc with the iphone, they can write some more code to cope with a remote.. The remote doesn't even need a hard drive, a ram stick will do, as it is not holding the sound files just the track information.. I suspect the remote would need a button or something to use with the "clickwheel" to support the extra functions..

Anyway, iPod isn't the be-all-and-end-all of digital music replay. I like them, and as soon as you dump Apples stupid low quality & restrictive compression format that comes gratis when you buy music from iTunes then an iPod becomes a really useful tool.

Regards
    Me personnally I have only ever bought two tunes from Itunes, and I will NEVER ever buy another.. I use itunes to burn my own CD collection into it's libery, with this in mind, I really think the Ipod is a really usefull gadget, I just somehow think they might have missed a marketing opertunity..

I'm Steve.

I've just given the "Sonus" a good coat of looking at, and whilst I think it looks like an interesting tool, it isn't what I need..

I simply want to come home after a days graft, take the ipod out of my pocket, stick it into the hifi dock, and use a remote to stick a load of my tunes on,in the order I want them, and play them back through my own personally selected hifi.

Every thing about this "idea" is old tech, so why can't I do It.?? .

OK, let's say I could supply you something that looks like a remote control with a slot to take most iPods. This remote then streams wirelessly to a receiver plugged in to your Hi-Fi. The connection to the stereo is analogue phonos. If it were priced at £200 would you buy it?

I'm Steve.

OK, let's say I could supply you something that looks like a remote control with a slot to take most iPods. This remote then streams wirelessly to a receiver plugged in to your Hi-Fi. The connection to the stereo is analogue phonos. If it were priced at £200 would you buy it?
    not if we're talking about logitechs squeezebox.. the price is right, but I don't want to turn on my PC /and or stream by wireless if I did I could just out my itunes library into the aux of my amp, and use itunes itself to select whatever.. I want to walk in the door, take the ipod out of my pocket, dock it into the hi fi and go.. I don't want to get up & go to the hi-fi and use the docked ipod scroll wheel to select my tunes..

THe logitech is close to this idea, but is not what I'm looking for.. I want to/feel I ought to be able to, plug the ipod straight into the stereo. and treat it as another Cdp, controlled by its own remote..

I still am surprised that this idea hasn't occured to apple.., surely if logitech can see the potential..

No, were not talking about a Squeezebox or anything that streams from your pc.

What we are talking about is you "walking in from work, taking your iPod out of your shirt pocket and..." plugging it to a handled dock that looks like a remote control but it streams wirelessly to a receiver plugged in to your HiFi. To change tunes you use the iPod jog wheel. OK?

So, would you buy it at £200???

I'm Shane.

Seems to me that it would be easier if the Ipod dock was the remote. A hand-held dock that streamed the data from the Ipod to a receiver plugged into the hifi shouldn't be too hard to achieve, I'd have thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast