+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gidday from Australia

Default Gidday from Australia

Hi all, I came across this forum when I started researching to buy a dac to improve my digital flac files which I curently output from my laptops analogue lineout to an amp. Extremely unsatisfying, tiring sound to listen too !!! However it has got me started on the PC based music server path, just need to improve on the hardware after a bit more research.
    Cheers Don

I'm ILOB.

Hi Don
    Welcome to AOS
    A good DAC will make a huge difference to the sound
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hi Don
    Welcome to AOS
    A good DAC will make a huge difference to the sound
    Thanks John, what led me to this forum was researching Beresford dac . Now I find that the manufacturer of these dacs is a member of this forum. Is it appropriate to disscus purchasing a dac from stan and if so via what means.
    Cheers Don

I'm Nick.

Hi Don, and welcome to AOS! Stan B is indeed a regular on the forum. If you're interested in purchasing the DAC though, it's best to go via his website http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html There are many many users of his gear on here though, so it's definitely the place to get help and advice before you buy!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Hi Don

Welcome to AOS enjoy the forum....

What kind of music do you like ? What is the rest of your system ? Maybe you might like to post some photos of your set up in the Gallery section, we all love looking at members systems.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Don,

Welcome to AOS! The wonders of Internet search engines, eh?

Enjoy and get stuck in!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Don

Welcome to AOS enjoy the forum....

What kind of music do you like ? What is the rest of your system ? Maybe you might like to post some photos of your set up in the Gallery section, we all love looking at members systems.

Regards D S D L
    Thanks for the welcome all, I,m afraid I,ll disappoint with regard to my system, not in the same league as you guys but here goes anyway!!

Harman/kardon CD Player and Rotel Tuner,
    Choice of 2 amps Rotel RA-840BX3 and NAD3240PE
    DIY SpeakerEnclosure using Kef drivers 2way?? with passive radiator hardwired with monster cables.

All relics owned since bought new but enough to get me started on a hard-drive/music server system. Have been ripping my CD collection to FLAC using EAC to create a music library for Foobar,love the convenience, hate the sound from laptop sound card.
    So here I am!! guess I need to get in to a forum and get some advice , first thing a decent Dac. Which leads me to my first question .
    NOS Dac verses Over sampling Dac

Cheers where do I start posting

I'm ILOB.

Hi Don
    Why not start a thread in digital impression
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    Don no worries about cost of systems its about enjoying the music first. You should find when you get a decent DAC a big improvement both on the computer audio side and on the CD player side
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Thanks for the welcome all, I,m afraid I,ll disappoint with regard to my system, not in the same league as you guys but here goes anyway!!

Harman/kardon CD Player and Rotel Tuner,
    Choice of 2 amps Rotel RA-840BX3 and NAD3240PE
    DIY SpeakerEnclosure using Kef drivers 2way?? with passive radiator hardwired with monster cables.

All relics owned since bought new but enough to get me started on a hard-drive/music server system. Have been ripping my CD collection to FLAC using EAC to create a music library for Foobar,love the convenience, hate the sound from laptop sound card.
    So here I am!! guess I need to get in to a forum and get some advice , first thing a decent Dac. Which leads me to my first question .
    NOS Dac verses Over sampling Dac

Cheers where do I start posting
    Hi Don

I couldn't agree more with John more...its all about the love of music first, and how we get there second. We all go in different ways and at different cost, but its the enjoyment of music that is most important to most of us on AOS.

Enjoy the forum.....lots !

Regards D S D l
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Don,
    Don't worry there is no league - despite the gear I have in my main system, I spent the entire day today listening to music on this:

It's the music that matters.........and the great folks on The Art of Sound.

+ Reply to Thread