+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First thoughts: 48 Hrs with Exposure XXV and Usher X708s

I'm Stuart.

Default First thoughts: 48 Hrs with Exposure XXV and Usher X708s

First, thanks to everyone for your advice while i have been searching through the choices for my system upgrade. And thanks for suffering my nubie questions. These choice are really difficult, and your help is immensely appreciated!

Ok, its been 48hrs with the new system. Exposure XXV and Usher X708s, with K20 Linn cables.

Whoa those Ushers go much deeper than I would expect from those boxes, driven by the Exposure, it is also tighter, smoother and cleaner, not so quite so punchy as the NAD C340. They dont seem too bothered about wall placement, out (1m) is better, but they hold their own closer to the wall too, the base is tight enough that it sound like some larger acoustic suspension speakers i once had.

Build quality is great on the Exposure – interestingly there are no ventilation holes – and the inside was pristinely un-dusty. The remote is really well worked out, very smooth action, the volume and input knobs are driven by servos that run off separate circuitry, very fine control, no ‘over-jumping’. Very good at that time, even now!

Usher build quality also seems great – however when delivered there was a loose back-of-the-tweeter cap banging around, so I glued it back on with epoxy.

Details? The details are there, but not so bright or forward (as the earlier B&W CM2s), much smoother and much much less fatiguing. While smoother, there is bite where bite should be, sax, horn, female voice, acoustic guitar – lots of good bite. More depth, presentation, and presence. Generally easy and open.

However, during complex/busy instrumental passages, there seems to be some crowding… That said, the system may only be revealing weaknesses in my source material, which is ALAC ripped with iTunes (one day that will change…) or a old Denon Transport (mini system with optical out). The ‘crowding’, for example, on more intense passages of Spanish acoustical guitar (Ottmar Liebert, Nouveau Flamenco) it sounds like the music is being ‘pulled down’ and is muddled, slightly off key and more grainy/rough –this at normal listening volume, not even medium. Similar results for opening chorus of Carmina Burana, or violins in Four Seasons.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps more burnin time?

Better sources are on the way, so more to report soon!!!
    Last edited by Stubies; 01-09-2013 at 12:41.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

Looking good Stuart and glad the system is settling in nicely. You'll probably find in about a week that the sound from the Exposure will have all come together. I know a lot of people will argue that Hifi sounds better when on for a while but I find Exposure equipment to really need a while to bed in before you get the final sound

Wait till you get the Epos, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the combination.

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm James.

Looking good

I would suggest trying the system without the tube buffer, IME they can help poor systems but you have no need of it now [do look nice all lit up though!] Putting the Ushers on a pair of proper stands would be a huge upgrade too
    Last edited by istari_knight; 01-09-2013 at 21:34. Reason: typo

I'm Hesketh.

i would experiment with speaker height. They look like they need to be a tad higher up.
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm Stuart.

James,

Good point - thanks for the advice. It is time for new stands. I had some great stands that were lost in a move, i will start looking for some more now.

The tube buffer is in the 'tape loop' (this amp has separate switchable record out) - to allow A/B testing. There is a small difference, a bit smoother, but i will wait to give a full review after the burnin time.

The good deals on ebay are 'collection only' unfortunately ;(

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Looking good

I would suggest trying the system without the tube buffer, IME they can help poor systems but you have no need of it now [do look nice all lit up though!] Putting the Ushers on a pair of proper stands would be a huge upgrade too
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

What's the little CD player thingy to the left of the Exposure Stuart?
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

Well.... on the left on top of the exposure is a tube buffer by Yaqin - i thought i would try it out just to see how it changed the sound. It does have some smoothing effect - i will wait for a full review later after the system beds in a bit more.

The CD is just on the right, on the buffet (how do you call that in UK?). That is a 10 year old Denon Mini - used as a transport into the DAC. Im not sure it is very good as a transport, but its what ive got until some other boxes arrive...

=> watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    What's the little CD player thingy to the left of the Exposure Stuart?

I'm Paul.

Denon have always made pretty decently equipment and I clearly don't know my right from my left as I meant the CD player to the right

+ Reply to Thread