+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The tyranny of hi-fi

I'm fuckoff.

This is the tyranny of people, not HiFi.

I'm Hesketh.

I remember contacting one of these people who was a frind of over 40 years and asking him why he has chosen to shun me. he has yet to answer me. I even sent him a prophelactic apology and asked him what it was that i had done to offend him so. I was told by a close friend that he thought it was all down to the hifi and such things. All very upsetting and i am doing my damndest to put it behind me and move on. I have to focus on the way ahead. I remain the outcast though not for lond. As i forge new friendships it is getting easier though i miss my old friend dearly i intend to close the door on the matter.
    Thanks again to the many folks who offered their thoughts here. I will now get back to banging on about hifi matters.
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
    because every time i bought something different they went and bought something far more elaborate and expensive. One upmanship at its worst.
    Ah, thanks for the added info. All is now clear. You omitted that rather crucial fact from your story

I abhor one-upmanship in anything, as well as petty jealousy, so I'm with you there! Glad you're moving on now, though. It seems that your 'friend' just wasn't worth it.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

Hesketh, I guarantee that my simple life plan will help you through.

F_ck em! If they are really like that then they aren't worth worrying about. Move on.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    So here is my crash course to fixing problems with friendships or any relationship that matters:

• Firstly, set aside your own hurt feelings and anger towards them
    • State your committment to the relationship, and tell them why you value it
    • Express willingness and interest in sorting it out because you value their friendship and want to right any wrongs.
    • Listen to what they have to say and don't judge whether it is valid (it is to them)
    • Identify what you should or could have done to have consistent with your own values and principles and where you went wrong, and re-commitment to the relationship
    • Identify with the impact your actions had on them, and apologise for that genuinely
    • Leave your ego at home
    There's some excellent advice in there, Alex, which people would do well to heed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    F_ck em! If they are really like that then they aren't worth worrying about. Move on.
    Yes, largely what I also said! A good philosophy.

I try not to talk about Hi-Fi in company, but if it's mentioned in conversation, I'll chip in. There are people who have bragged about their 'Hi-Fi' (the kind of guys who'd be mystified if you mentioned: moving coil, electrostatic, Class A, etc.) only to be very put out on hearing mine, which invariably proves to be vastly superior to theirs and often for much less cost. That rather puts the 'one uppers' in their place.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nobody.

Why do people actually need friends i ask?

When you get really good ones you can rely on, dude, (like I have with Snapper and others you don't know), then you won't have to ask that question!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

Aye, there's loads of t*ssers out there but every now & then you meet a diamond geezer that makes it all worthwhile

MartinT Guest

I can honestly say that I've never experienced such a thing with any of my friends. Most of them are not great hi-fi or music fans, anyway, and those friendships are proper ones, not subject to some petty behaviour over trivialities. As others have said, you really are better off without such people and I would not make any attempt to rekindle such 'friendships'.

One caveat: it is almost impossible to maintain a friendship with a woman once you have crossed the boundary with them and subsequently stopped. Even so, I have one female friend who will always be a true friend despite the fact that we have 'history' together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast