+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The tyranny of hi-fi

I'm Hesketh.

Default The tyranny of hi-fi

This may invoke some negative criticism though i am willing to take it on the chin. I write of a personal experience that may or may not have been experienced in the past by others. About six years ago i was given the cold shoulder by friends of many years standing. At the time i put it down to my divorce and other matters. Over the years i found out that a lot of it was down to Hi-Fi matters. I couldn't bring myself to believe it. One of these people was a person who had known me from childhood and very close indeed. In recent months i happened to be in the my local dealer in Stockton on Tees (By far the best hifi dealer i have ever dealt with.) and two of my dear friends of years gone by were there, I was blanked by both. This is a pityful tale and from what i have been lead to believe was caused by petty jelousy.
    This is indeed the tyranny of Hi-fi. Though i have not communicated with these individuals for many years i know that their hifi equipment is far better in many respects than mine their boxes of capsitors, resistors, transformers, etc etc are just that!!!! the language of music should trancend this and yet as i now find myself as my forum name suggests, The Outcast! I love music first and my Hi-fi a very close second though i have to warn all that a bizarre jelousy exists between friends that cannot at first be identified. It's only when it's all gone wrong that you know it's happened and in my case it is ireversable. Hifi in many cases remains the concept of male jewellry, almost war feathers to which intimidate or impress a rival enthusiast.
    This of course does not apply to everyone as i have some amazing friends who remain my closest pals and like me own some great hifi gear. I decided to post this for two reasons. First of all to inform all that this could happen to you though you may not know it and to explain the reason behind my forum name.
    Until resently i was set to attempt for the very last time to make things right between myself and my former dearest friend, however, it dawned on me that if this is all that people care about do i want them in my life? I think not! f..k em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, i can hear you say that this guy is a bascket case, paranoid weird f..k. My intention however as a rational man is to bring this phenomena to your attention and look out for the first signs of it as if you don't nip it in the bud it could cost you a friendship. Please don't fall victim to the tyranny of hifi!
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm Nobody.

People! don't trust any of them..

I'm Martin.

They must be terribly shallow people and desperately unhappy. You don't need wankers like that in your life, they will only bring you down.

Reasons to fall out with friends:

Unacceptable: Money, politics, religion, music

Acceptable: Women, football

That's how I see it anyways
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm stu.

How bizarre.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Hesketh.

Indeed Martin. Though i cannot comment on matters of Football. I am originally from Hartlepool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They must be terribly shallow people and desperately unhappy. You don't need wankers like that in your life, they will only bring you down.

Reasons to fall out with friends:

Unacceptable: Money, politics, religion, music

Acceptable: Women, football

That's how I see it anyways
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm Geoff.

Martin is right.

People are only worth what they think of you! if somebody offends me or lets me down, regardless of how well (or not) I got on with them, I just write them off as being of no value to me and therefore I'm losing nothing by not having anything further to do with them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

In the words of Karl Pilkington - 'You only need seven friends to get you through life. Look at Snow White: Seven dwarves and she had everything covered.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent post, Hesketh. You're certainly well rid of those assholes! Thing is, did you ever find out exactly what they were jealous of? That's the burning question I'm left with after reading your story...

Oh, and I agree about Hi-Fi Sound in Stockton-upon-Tees, if that's who you were referring to. Simon is indeed a top chap - one of the very few genuine good guys in the business today. He works way too hard, though!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm paul.

Hi, I prefer a more positive attitude when it comes to friends and people in general. Did you really make any effort to reinstate your friendship with your friends in the shop or did you wait for them to approach you. People have allsorts of crap in their lives any losing touch or falling out with people can be a symptom of this .I would encourage you to try again with an emotional and honest approach explaining what those friendships brought you and what you miss about them ,and explaining that whatever brought about the riff was unimportant. If they still blank you then you know they are twats
    best Paul

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    People! don't trust any of them..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast