+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Austerity and 2nd hand hi-fi

I'm Nobody.

People just don't have the money, i certainly don't. be lucky if i can spend £200.00 a month to myself & that is with working twice as many hours as the standard week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    be lucky if i can spend £200.00 a month to myself & that is with working twice as many hours as the standard week.
    Been there as well Andre. I met up with some old workmates from the 80's for a meal a month or so ago. One of the guys is terminally ill so it was an excuse to get together whilst he is still able to go out. We were talking about the after normal hours and weekends overtime most of us had to undertake just to put food on the table and pay the mortgage at about 12 to 15% then. It made me a better person. And I packed away my stereo from those days in October 1987. I didn't unpack them till about 2007.... Most of them are now back in use and worth a small fortune on fleebay

I'm Clark.

[QUOTE=Reffc;475504]Perhaps, but it depends on the kit in question. Look at the unrealistic price rises in the past 24 months for Garrard (301/401), Tannoy Gold and HPD, Thorens TD124 (good examples now £1000 plus), Celestion Ditton 66's and the like. No bubble to burst there as these rock solid performers will go on making decent music for years to come, and many see them as an investment. With a shortage of supply and steady demand, the bubble hasn't burst and I suspect they'll hold values very well indeed for a good few years to come. There are tiers of used kit "below" that level (if I may use that term without intending to be derogatory) some of which, like the pioneer A400, enjoyed a mini resurgence for a year or two but are now sinking back into more realistic low used prices. Ditto, things like CDPs, especially since streaming and DACs have taken over the new market. However, decent loudspeakers, turntables and amplifiers are holding values well. Amps seem to have reached a peak and with a better informed enthusiast base, aren't quite as collectable as loudspeakers or turntables but continue to hold value, especially well looked after vintage gear like Leak or Radford amps.

I would agree. The best vintage equipment was invariably the most expensive in it's day or was virtually unobtainable to the general public, i.e. made for for cinemas or recording studios. It was usually built without any considerations towards cost, with performance and reliability being the main criteria. This kit will just keep rising in value due to desirability and rarity whilst more commonplace but often very good kit will be subject to market fluctuations, driven but the state of various economies around the world or, "discovery" by some hifi guru with a following. Hifi that was mediocre or crap in it's day remains so today.

In reality, apart from the advent of digital there is very little new technology in hifi and the best designs of old can more than hold their own against the best modern offerings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12