+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non Standard Toslink socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    think this £6 (under £10 with postage) cable off Amazon might give Mark Grant co-axial a run for it's money and probably a lot of audiophool stuff too.
    The average cheap as chips TOSLINK cable will have little or no problems with 16Bit/44.1KHz data. Where the more complicated TOSLINK construction scores is with higher resolution and higher data transmission. So your TEAC would quite happily work with a 50p cable as well.

I'm Nobody.

Stan
    I have a cheapo Toslink & a very expensive one, i hear absolutly no difference what so ever between the two, same goes for USB cables {Just my own personal findings}

I can't hear a difference in the sound quality either but I can hear a higher rate of decoding errors at higher sampling rates with a lesser TOSLINK lead.

I'm Paul.

This is the cable in question.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would be a £20 cable at full retail. Gold plating nice but can't see that makes a difference with fibre optics. Nicely constructed cable - so neared the audiophool models than a 50p cheapie.

Certainly is improvement over the Mark Grant GH1000 on at least some recordings. Lighter cleaner sound benefits the somewhat hard sound on the Stevie Nicks album I tried. A case of less warmth more detail? Some material is likely to prefer the coaxial but my initial impression is fibre is more accurate to the source. We are talking relatively small differences here. Wonder what other members preference is between Coax and Tos. Generally the accepted wisdom is in favour of coax but I am not so sure about that at the present.

Paul.

I'm Clive.

Paul

I think your correct when you say the general consensus is that coax is better. The reason is probably down to the digital conversion from electric to light and back again at source and amp.
    My own preference is coax, which I use on my CD and streamer using optical as digital output from the Oppo (i use analogue for SACD) and of course the sky box as there is no alternative on that box.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    and of course the sky box as there is no alternative on that box.
    In a recent picture taken by an AoS member the SKY box was shown to have both an optical and coax socket. It's just that most people don't notice the coax socket for some reason.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    In a recent picture taken by an AoS member the SKY box was shown to have both an optical and coax socket. It's just that most people don't notice the coax socket for some reason.
    SORRY, my fault I meant I don't have another coax input on my preamp and therefor have to use optical.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12