+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yaqin MS-12B valve preamp

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm John.

Default Yaqin MS-12B valve preamp

I've just lost a longish post I was creating on this so I'll keep it short now and add more later.

I read mostly favourable comments about the Yaqin MS-12B on the 'net so I've bought one. I thought that at the very least it would tide me over while the rat's nest on the floor that is my diy Jfet phono stage gets organised into a box.

I bought it off eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FreeShipping-Y...3A1%7C294%3A50

I didn't want to wait for the free shipping via a slow boat from China so on top of the very cheap 129GBP asking price (can't find a pound sign on this laptop!) I paid an extra 25 for airmail. It arrived in just under 2 weeks, well packed, and extra charges at this end were just under 20 quid.

The manufaturer's website is good for a laugh: http://www.yaqin.cn/en/company.html

The circuit diag. is below but I haven't checked it so can't vouch for its accuracy. Yaqin loses a few points imo for having that emitter follower buffer after the phono stages.

Ergonomically it's a bit odd as you can see, with phono inputs at the front and cd input plus outputs at the rear. It's pretty solidly built, and bigger than I imagined :- 35cm from front to back.

Early listening impressions were favourable, though it sounded a bit rolled off at frequency extremes and the stage with phono input was a bit restricted in width and depth. After a day or so it began to emit intermittent whistling noises (on both inputs). One of the 12AU7 valves was extremely microphonic.
    More to follow later....
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread