+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone Amp

I'm Steve.

Love the Avatar Rare Bird
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Nobody.

Thanks Steve.. Just some old tat that's took me months to restore..

I'm Robert.

Been very happy with my NJC...

http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/monitor2.html

Should tick the looks department too, it's a bit like the CI.
    Rob

I'm alan.

My vote goes to the Neco Soundlabs Bosfet.won't beat the sound or quality..
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

I'm tony.

The epiphany head amp EHP 02 is very good.
    The only downside is connectivity, it has a 3.5mm input and output .

It is portable and the battery and charging circuit are kept seperate.....so no mains nasties from the wall wart gets through.
    Maplins do a good quality 3.5mm-phono connector.

It is very well made and sounds sublime, if the aesthetics offend, you could tuck it behind kit in your rack.

Epiphany as a company are great to deal with. I rate mine very highly.

I'm Nobody.

This Lehmann 'Black Cube' looks like the winner up to yet.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 26-08-2013 at 22:35.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Those are extremely good André, I have HD650's and spent sometime evaluating head-amps about 2 years ago and got close to buying one, but just didn't have the spare cash at the time, so bought an M-Stage clone, which sound wise *seems* to match it to my ears. However, I would still like a Lehmann when funds permit as the M-Stage has a few failings. The build quality is poor compared to the Lehmann, also the volume pot on the M-Stage is very different to the Lehmann and I think you would absolutely hate it, its stiff and just feels wrong compared to the Black Cube. Cosmetically the M-Stage looks are inferior to the Lehmann as well, I really don't like the front panel graphics. The blue LED on the M-Stage is too bright, the Lehmann is very subtle and perfect for my tastes. You can buy under the counter brackets for the Lehmann too, so you can clamp it under a desk. The Matrix M-Stage is very good indeed, don't get me wrong and you get what you pay for, but the Lehmann is a premium product and worth its cost IMO, it just oozes quality and has been superbly engineered, topped by the fact is sounds darned good too

I was very impressed by both its sonic capabilities and build quality and it works exceptionally well with the higher end Sennheiser headphones - the volume pot is gorgeous on the Lehmann. The only other head-amp I would consider (but its valve not SS) is the Schiit Valhalla.

This is my M-Stage.

Its very, very good, but its not a Lehmann Black Cube
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Nobody.

Thanks for that Tim. Yes that Lehmann is beautiful, looks superb inside too. I hear they do a unit with USB

I'm Mike.

I have built meself a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone off of eBay.
    It has cost me around £50 inl freight and a toroid trannie (60VA)
    Built into an old casette deck, it sounds truly astonishing! It beats the socks off of a Little Dot MkIII!

Regards Mike
    Edit:

The left side houses the two separate trafos, a 60VA toroid for the HP amp and a 30VA R-core for the DAC. The small PCB is the DAC, an AK4396 based jobbie with a very appealing sound. To the right is the Lehmann clone, an absolutely stunning piece of kit, at peanut cost.
    Both the dac and hp amp uses OP-amps, NE5532 as std, but they have been exchanged for a much better option, the LME 49720HA (metal cased).
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 26-08-2013 at 20:54.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I have built meself a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone off of eBay.
    Have you got a link to that Mike?

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast