+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Player-Recommendations for a friend.

I'm Shane.

Default CD Player-Recommendations for a friend.

I'm asking this on behalf of my friend that has no internet access!

He's looking for a CD player that sounds good just as a '''stand alone''' player. He doesn't want separate transport & dac nonsense please!!

His budget- £200-450. Second hand more like it!!

His amp is an Exposure X integrated, another '''John Farlowe''' era amp. His speakers are the same as mines, Mordaunt Short Pageant series II--Recommendation from me because they are good speakers.

Music is not an issue as he listens to all sorts.

Thanks gang!

I'm Nobody.

One less than £100.00 s/h that's a superb sounding machine Sony 'XB930E UK Special Edition..Fixed lazer mech, you'll never want to go back to a standard tray machine again..

I'm Gone.

Naim CDI without a doubt for me

£400-450 is possible if he's resourceful and patient. A CD3 or 3.5 would be a cheaper alternative but just not in the same league AFAIC

I'm Gone.

£400-450 is possible if he's resourceful and patient. A CD3 or 3.5 would be a cheaper alternative but just not in the same league AFAIC

Sorry, it's not an echo. Internet is playing up over here

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post

Sorry, it's not an echo. Internet is playing up over here
    What's the 3.5 like? Never heard one myself !!

I'm Gone.

It's good on its own. As good as. CD3, but if you stick a naim PSU up its bum, it suddenly gets so much more oomph and boogie. Your mate would likely end up with another box.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    It's good on its own. As good as. CD3, but if you stick a naim PSU up its bum, it suddenly gets so much more oomph and boogie. Your mate would likely end up with another box.
    Na, my mate can't be arsed with having another box!!

I'm Gone.

I'm the same. I've never had both at the same time, but I'm sure the CDI would still easily better a 3.5 with a PSU. Just more gravitas and just so right. I'd have another one myself but I'm really on the lookout for a CDS. Only heard at a dealers but man, was it good!

I'm Paul.

Not to be rude but a CDI maybe a little bit of overkill in that system and would likely drive him to want to upgrade sooner than he'd have expected... Certainly did in my case ... Maybe worth looking for a Naim CD3 or 3.5 although IMHO the 3 sounded better!

Pitty you've sold your Meridian 206 Shane. That would have been a fine player for your friends system!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Not to be rude but a CDI maybe a little bit of overkill in that system and would likely drive him to want to upgrade sooner than he'd have expected... Certainly did in my case ... Maybe worth looking for a Naim CD3 or 3.5 although IMHO the 3 sounded better!

Pitty you've sold your Meridian 206 Shane. That would have been a fine player for your friends system!
    Shane does what Shane does, replacing really good gear with tat and then selling on again

Paul, where on this god given earth do you get your audio opinions from? A CD-I will work well in ANY system and although I found the Exposure amp rather harsh when clipped, it's OK at lower levels and the Pageant II's were great fun and despite being from the late 70's and a bit dated because of it (they're three way where today a two way could easily be done and was later with the superb MS20's), they sound very clear and involving.

Do please note that a CD-I is a good sounding player with some weight to the presentation, but the performance behind the Naim output stage 'flavour' can easily be equalled and probably bettered by cheapo DAC's available for under £100 these days. Remember that Naim have always worked on a humungous profit markup, twice that of Rega for example, so your player really should have been a needlessly quirky mchine for a grand or less when new, rather than £2k as it once was. I'd still rather have it to an early CD3 or CD5 machine I think, but these were being fast outclassed by then anyway
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast