+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rega Brio R Amp & DAC owner seeks advice

I'm Steve.

Default New Rega Brio R Amp & DAC owner seeks advice

Good evening all ,
    Proud new owner of the above beauties , I was warned to expect around 100 hours burn-in time , but already they're sounding fine with FLAC files and good old CD's.
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (I did a quick search) , but could any Rega owners of longer-standing advise me whether upgraded power leads would be a worthwhile purchase ? If so , any recommendations ? , and is it best to get upgraded leads for both , or just the amp ?
    Warm regards
    Steve
    My Kit :
    Rega P3 with Audio Technica AT-VMN95SH Cart , Rega Neo PSU & Fono MM Phono Stage , Cambridge Audio AZUR 851A Amp , 851C CD Player , 851N Network Player , Monitor Audio Silver 100 Speakers , JRiver26 via Laptop through iFI USB , Audioquest Rocket 22 Speaker Cable, Chord Clearway Interconnects , Mark Grant Power Cords.

I'm Andrew.

I bought a couple of these http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...u+bristol+show I could never see myself paying much for a mains cable but these were cheap enough for me to try as an experiment. Like others I thought there was a small improvement on the amp ( Rega Mira) maybe real maybe imagined but I thought it an improvement either way. I did not hear an improvement on the DAC (Rega DAC).
    Last edited by RMutt; 18-08-2013 at 20:17. Reason: added the not to the DAC bit!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm biased here, but the Mark Grant mains cable, which I use here as a master supply to the distribution block, is around half the price of Rega's own (which is a lower current rating as well) and VERY highly recommended by me. Buy, fit and forget I've found
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Many thanks for the prompt responses guys , when the systems fully settled in I think I'll try one or the other for the amp at least.
    My Kit :
    Rega P3 with Audio Technica AT-VMN95SH Cart , Rega Neo PSU & Fono MM Phono Stage , Cambridge Audio AZUR 851A Amp , 851C CD Player , 851N Network Player , Monitor Audio Silver 100 Speakers , JRiver26 via Laptop through iFI USB , Audioquest Rocket 22 Speaker Cable, Chord Clearway Interconnects , Mark Grant Power Cords.

I'm Gary.

Few of us Rega owners post here Steve.
    Good link here.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=rega+cable

Cracking bits of kit, enjoy!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Steve.

That's great Gary , just what I was looking for , many thanks.
    ps : Always enjoyed following your experimentation and "Fiddling" over the years !
    My Kit :

I'm Steve.

Default Update to original post

Evening all ,

I went for the Mark Grant power chord in the end (And treated myself to one of his G1500HD interconnects at the same time).
    In the meantime I've added the S-Booster and linear PSU to the Squeezebox , and an MF V-Link II for playback from the laptop.
    I was a little sceptical about the Squeezebox upgrade , but it really has moved things on to a new level.
    The new system's settling in really well , and everything's starting to gel nicely.
    I don't think I've ever heard such good sounds coming from the speakers , this hobby can be great fun !

Best wishes , Steve
    My Kit :

I'm Dave.

You can expect a small difference changing the mains cables but don't pay large foo prices.

Do you have the full depth DAC with standard IEC mains socket or the previous model with small fugure of 8 socket ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetra21 View Post
    Good evening all ,
    Proud new owner of the above beauties , I was warned to expect around 100 hours burn-in time , but already they're sounding fine with FLAC files and good old CD's.
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere (I did a quick search) , but could any Rega owners of longer-standing advise me whether upgraded power leads would be a worthwhile purchase ? If so , any recommendations ? , and is it best to get upgraded leads for both , or just the amp ?
    Warm regards
    Steve

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Do you have the full depth DAC with standard IEC mains socket or the previous model with small fugure of 8 socket ?
    Have the changed the DAC David? I must admit I find the size difference between the two boxes (Brio-R & DAC) a strange choice and cosmetically annoying if they are on show on top of a sideboard for instance.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You can expect a small difference changing the mains cables but don't pay large foo prices.

Hi Dave ,
    I have the newest DAC model with the IEC socket.Having changed the mains cable on the Rega amp I believe there's been an improvement , with everything sounding a little smoother all round. Of course I accept it could be a placebo effect , but what the hell , I'm happy !
    Best wishes , Steve
    My Kit :

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast