+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denon 160 setup?

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post

how would you describe the Akiva then,
    Flat,dull,shut-in,grey and compared to the DL160,pretty lifeless.
    ATB

David

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Linn's finest, eh?

It hits home hard just how much bullshit is attached to their products these days. It's all changed since you first got into Linn, David!

I didn't think much of the Radikal/Ekos SE/Dynavector XV-1s-based LP12 we heard in L&C either, did you? I certainly wouldn't swap my modded Techy for it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I didn't think much of the Radikal/Ekos SE/Dynavector XV-1s-based LP12 we heard

Marco.

I think there was an Urika in there,as well as a Keel.Pretty sure the cartridge was a Dynavector Te Kaitora.Although I may be wrong.

But no,I wasn't too impressed.

TBH I can't see me changing my LP12 now that Johnnie @ Audio Origami rewired my s/h Ekos and set up the T/T with the DL160.

If only I could afford to get the Whest p/s repaired (again) I'd be very happy.
    ATB

David

Oh yes, I forgot about the 'glorified manhole cover'!

What's an "Urika" when it's at home?

I thought the DV was the one up from the Tikky-Tora, but I'm not sure. Either way, it wasn't any better than your 160 or my 103SA, in that system.

Do you know what's wrong with your Whest in terms of what needs fixing? If so, how much have you been quoted, and have you thought about asking one of our resident 'techies' like Leo or Anthony to have a look?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

What's an "Urika" when it's at home?
    The new Linn phonostage.

This quoted from a retailers web page.

Price of the Klimax Radikal is £4500.00 and the Urika is £2250.00. They can both be purchased together as a package for £6200.00, a saving of £550.00. An alternative version, the Akurate Radikal, will be available shortly priced at £2500.00.

Do you know what's wrong with your Whest in terms of what needs fixing? If so, how much have you been quoted, and have you thought about asking one of our resident 'techies' like Leo or Anthony to have a look?

Marco.

It went dead in one channel last year,so I sent to Whest for repair.It came back with both channels working,but now hums,badly.

I haven't had a quote yet and not really in a financial position to have it repaired,again.
    ATB

David

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Flat,dull,shut-in,grey and compared to the DL160,pretty lifeless.
    I have to say this but that pretty much sums up the way all Linn Hifi sounds to me ,except the LP12 with a decent cart' it can sound good .

As for the Denon dl160 as soon as i played the 1st track i knew this was the cart for me.

i know this is a bit off topic but i have done a couple of small recent tweaks to my techie and its really starting to sing now ,its one of the most satisfying pieces of audio i have ever used, and the dl160 seems to me to be a wonderful match, i think i have simply got to try out a 103 at some point when funds permit.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

David,

I reckon Anthony or Leo would be able to fix your Whest for next to bugger all

I'd send either of them a PM and take it from there.

Marco.
    Main System

Maybe later on when I've saved up some penny's.
    ATB

David

I'm Simon.

Default Denon 160 up, up and away.

Hello everyone,

And thanks very much indeed for the helpful suggestions regarding the Denon 160 which I installed over the weekend, substituting the K9.

Set up was indeed the hoped breeze - tonearm leads to output pins of cart. were a little overcrimped and had to be widened with a jewellers' screwdriver before getting a good fit but nothing too exasperating.

I lined up the body laterally by eye - not difficult, it's square - and didn't worry about overhang - I pretty much lined it up with the front of the headshell. Set tracking force to 1.7 as advised and away.

Tried MM and MC, preferred MC - bit like a loudness button, or a 'go live' button, more of everything, maybe a little distorsion? I love distorsion! (in the right measure).

The vinyl sound I have now is much more epic - lots of energy, great high frequencies. Previously, doing an A/B of vinyl versus cd of Little Feat's 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now' with the K9 the difference was minimal - they both sounded a little flat.

The vinyl now rocks righteously as I remembered it from years back!

( Could it be that deteriorating hearing in no-longer-young audiophiles is what spurs people on to spending spiralling amounts in order to get the same sensation as was possible on an 8 watt no-name music centre as a youth? I'm into psych-acoustics so I can't help but ponder that. )

Anyway, well pleased with the valves and vinyl I now have. The cd continues to get a lot of play too - bit like red wine/white wine or Windows/McIntosh, they're by no means mutually exclusive, nice to have both!!

Unfortunately however, according to Noteworthy Audio - a truly exemplary retailer - there has been a huge price rise on both the DL110 and the DL160 in the last week or so, making existing stocks more attractive at the price-point as was.

So get in there fast if you want one!

Cheers

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Simon what phono stage have you got and what is the gain on the mc input ,are you noticing any overload distortion then , glad you like the DL160 BTW i do too but it is a bit of a compromise.

Guy has put me right on some of the weakness and trade off's of high O/P mc's
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast