+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michell Gyro - SME 309 Arm

I'm Martin.

Default Michell Gyro - SME 309 Arm

I have an old Gyro with SME series 3 arm and it has been suggested I could upgrade to numerous other arms, e.g. SME 309, SME IV, Audio Note III, Jelco 750D, variants of modded Rega arms and so on.

The SME 309 looks favorite to me at present as the arm mount would not require changing, it has a removable head for ease of cartridge changing and looks good.

What are your thoughts and has anyone got an SME 309 second hand, as budgets are tight for a new one?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Martin

I'm Paul.

That's the set up I use (Gyro SE/309) and its a very fine partnering indeed.

309's rarely come up used though as they tend to be a long term purchase by owners. I've yet to hear any bad press from users on this arm or this combination. Later magnesium bodied 309 is worth searching out. Although not numerous on the used market, they are about. Budget around £500 used, or £750 from a dealer for a good one. Older models occasionally crop up for less.

A curve ball suggestion for a relatively inexpensive alternative would be to take a look at the Jelco 750 which is a very fine arm for the outlay and capable of great performance. Don't let the "budget" price put you off.

I'm Adam.

Another Gyro SE/309 user here.

The Jelco SA-750D, the Audio Note Arm Two/II, the Michell Tecnoarm and the Inspire X100v2 all work brilliantly on the Gyro but there's just something about the Gyro/309 combo that just keeps me coming back to it.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Neal.

Same again, I used a Gyro/309 combo for a number of years. The Gyro is long gone but the 309 is still in use with my SP-10.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Martin.

Smile

Great to hear from fellow Gyro owners (past & present) and interesting comments re the 309.
    Perhaps I will have to save up for a new one......

Thanks
    Martin

I'm ChrisB.

Never heard that combination, but plenty of SME IV's and V's.
    The Zeta has been my weapon of choice on the Gyro for over 20 years and I've never heard it bettered yet.

+ Reply to Thread