+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are capacitor 'upgrades' really better?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I read recently that in SOME circuits, probably low level ones, may not like fancy boutique caps with long legs being fitted, as inductance can rise (think I have this right).

As for replacing old with new - if the cap looks ok and not bulging, I'd be inclined to think very carefully before getting out the soldering iron in all honesty. Electrolytics used well within tolerance and not subject to loads of heat can last decades quite safely and within spec. Having said that (and thinking of the 'BEO' in Beobloke's monika), I remember seeing well used Beomaster receivers with almost all the circuit board electrolytics bulging after twenty or so years. Just one of the annoying little things about some old 1970's B&O gear, some of which was very well designed internally and sounded good when new.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gary.

Interesting thread, might have some input here.

My Young Dac.
    I recently upgraded the power supply by fitting a better regulator board (lower ESR caps) and also swapped out the 25v decoupling capacitor at the DC input.
    The new Panasonic FM cap on the input has a SIGNIFICANTLY lower ESR rating (I mean a factor of 10) than the cheapie CapXCon cap that was in before.

Significant improvments on both counts, particularly on the input cap on the Dac.
    Its as though the cap on the DC input was strangling the sound somewhat and a lot of the Young "magic" was being held back.

Its obviously better now, much more of the good stuff that was there before.

Looking ahead a bit, I'll be swapping out the caps in the analogue output section of the dac too.
    Leaving the digital circuit WELL alone!

With various Beresford's I've owned and upgraded, cap upgrades can really inprove the sound quality for not a lot of money.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-08-2013 at 18:25.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Interesting thread, might have some input here.

.......cap upgrades can really inprove the sound quality for not a lot of money.

Makes you wonder why they don't do it at manufacture, since these caps aren't silly money either, especially when bought by the zillion!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Makes you wonder why they don't do it at manufacture, since these caps aren't silly money either, especially when bought by the zillion!
    Absolutley!

(puts cynical hat one)
    Guess manufacturer's have to justify the next product up somehow?

things have to be built to a price point, sure, but if its a matter of throwing an extra 50p on 6 better quality caps, makes you wonder....

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, a lot of manufacturers are pretty good at that IMHO..

It would be nice to think that you could get 6 caps for 50p from the manufacturers. Far from it. They want you to buy anything between 1K to 5K before you get a delivery. Otherwise you have to buy the caps far more expensive from a dealer or distributor if you need a far smaller quantity.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It would be nice to think that you could get 6 caps for 50p from the manufacturers. Far from it. They want you to buy anything between 1K to 5K before you get a delivery. Otherwise you have to buy the caps far more expensive from a dealer or distributor if you need a far smaller quantity.
    No doubt Stan.
    Just saying from a punters point of view.

From a manufacturer's I hear what your saying about small quantities costing more...stings a bit and it'd something you dont always factor in.

I'm Neal.

Just be careful where you put low and especially ultra low ESR caps in a circuit, some circuits use the cap ESR to critically damp the circuit so it does not oscillate, without being able to check with a 'scope you are taking a risk in replacing the OEM cap.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Simon.

The cap Gaz refers to is direct;y on the other side of the Dc input socket and is there solely to smooth what comes in from the wall wart a little before it hits the 30v switching reg. No need for high ESR to damp that reg input according to the spec sheet.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Just be careful where you put low and especially ultra low ESR caps in a circuit, some circuits use the cap ESR to critically damp the circuit so it does not oscillate, without being able to check with a 'scope you are taking a risk in replacing the OEM cap.
    Yup,
    hence I'm leaving the caps on the digital side of things WELL alone!
    You reckon though Neal, I might be better leaving the analogue output section caps alone as well? (genuine question)

I've emailed the M2tech distributor for info on the whereaouts of the analogue caps on the board. Would have left well alone given the improvements I've already got, but a guy on WigWam has swapped out the caps on his Young for "dont want to say night and day but.." improvments on his Dac.

Seems a go-er, once I know the topology of the dac board.

@SQ
    Wall wart? Pfft!

Just an avid tinkler, not that I'm unhappy with how things are.
    Heres me listening to music on my system ...I'm like, Whoaa!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-08-2013 at 01:09.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast