+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Are capacitor 'upgrades' really better?

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Yep, that's who I used - have done a few time now - they are good to deal with, I would recommend them.
    Gosh, we're all at it! I received some Jantzen inductors from those chaps just yesterday - I was very impressed with what I received for the outlay and also at the speed of delivery.

I'm Deleted.

Which type did you get?
    Account Deleted

MartinT Guest

I bought my Mills MRA12 resistors from Hi-Fi Collective. Excellent service from them, too.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Which type did you get?
    Nothing very special:
    I can't find the full details right now, but something like - 1mm wire / 1.0 mH / 52mm diam. / Air Core ....8 quid(ish)

I'm tinkerin' with some little Genexxa Pro LX5 speakers that have been in and out of use here for the last 15 yeas or so. A new crossover in a box mounted on the cabinet rear, bi-amp terminals, bracing to the aluminium cabinets, new foam surrounds for the bass drivers and better damping on the rear of the front baffle.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Genexxa Pro LX5 speakers
    That has the rather fab tweeter, doesn't it?

I'm ChrisB.

It does indeed. Along with a worse than ordinary woofer!
    ....oh and a singalong, cast aluminium cabinet. I've sorted out the cabinet with a rather fantastic bracing invention and that does a lot to tighten up the bass. Nearly there now, then I'll tell all.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Nearly there now, then I'll tell all.
    Great - look forward to it.

I'm Val.

I have found Jantzen Inductors much cheaper from http://ehighend.de/shop/main_bigware...er-parts-coils They ordered some custom wound ones for me at virtually no extra cost and delivery was within 14 days.

No connection other than being a happy customer.

Val
    Amplification: Self built Nick Gorham el84 loaded 6080 valve line stage feeding Silk TVC's > Lyngdorf RP-1 > Self built 5687/300b PP ITX based on Lundahl & O'Nectics iron feeding Mid & Top and JBL MPA600 on Bass duties.
    Speakers: JBL 4344

I'm Hesketh.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's an awful lot of talk about capacitor upgrades.

The moment somebody mentions an older piece of equipment, the 'experts' will chime in with comments like "of course you'll have to change all the caps for better ones". Is this necessarily true? I change capacitors that I suspect are past it or are definitely knackered, but if a capacitor measures well, I tend to leave be.

It's no good someone saying "I changed mine and it was a huge improvement". Well, maybe it was, but as you obviously can't do an A/B comparison, this is very subjective. Also, there must be cases where a so called upgrade has been detrimental.

I'm sure capacitors vary in quality and capability, but if a cap meets the required spec for its designed purpose, what can be gained by using 'audiophile' components and is this measurable? Where does the superiority lie?
    Great tuning device. especially with valve amps.
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    Interesting subject, over the years i have seen many types of older type caps in various bits of equipment in for repairs etc, what i can say is; not all these caps are bad or need upgrading, two examples come to mind, the old Mullard mustard type, and the translucent Wima type, when testing in high voltage circuits both types always test very low for DC leakage [very important in valve amps as coupling etc] also, their values are always consistent with what is printed on them. Now there are of course some notoriously' and consistently bad caps in quite a few of the old favorites ie; leek and Quad power and pre-amps etc, one in particular is the Black HUNT types, the brown ones are better, but both are not to be trusted, and in my opinion should be changed without question, especially if they are being used as coupling between valve stages. Another note on Electrolytic s, i have found many older types to still be in tolerance when measured but sound dreadful in comparison to new caps of the same type and value, so, i think where this type of cap is concerned, its more often a case of if you can, replace them for new ones of equal or better, but as others have said, there is no need to go mad, unless of course you would like to put in the best quality you can afford.
    Caps made from different foil types and different dialectics all have a sonic signature, however, if you design the circuit right,then' in my opinion, polypropylene caps for signal and bypassing Large electrolytic s are hard to beat as far accuracy and blocking characteristics are concerned.
    If you want to experiment' or try making a badly designed circuit sound more well' listen-able, then, there are plenty of exotic types of components to choose from...
    The best capacitor is no capacitor, unfortunately this is not always possible with many designs, so, if they have to be used, use the best types modern technology has to offer, bad capacitors were the weak link of many a good design, if the designers of the vintage equipment many hold dear' had the materials and the methods to make the modern component types we take for granted today, i have no doubt' they would have used them.
    Anthony,TD...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910