+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purple Iridium USB audio server connector - the final solution?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Just like to keep folk aware of current trends amongst the computer audio geeks and as AoS likes to promote the best bang for your buck sound-wise, it seemed to make sense

I do have a warped sense of humour too . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Gary.

Stripped a USB cable in this way a while back Tim and had a play with it...
    Separating the 5V line from signal can have a positive effect, just depends on whether your dac needs the power line to function properly.

My own Young can work without the 5V line BUT...couple of problems.

I dont get the natty "lo-tech" bitrate display any more (important! ) and hires files plays at the wrong speed!
    Its weird, up to 24/192 plays fast and anything above plays slow.
    I had a similar problem when I was playing around with the USB output mod back in my SB Touch days, seperating the 5V from the signal can have an adverse effect on some Dacs.
    Using my Caiman then and had similar (but different) issues.

Definately worth a try though, just depends if your Dac likes it or not.

I've ordered one of the adapter thingmy's you linked to Tim for the bedroom system, always say the best cable is no cable.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm andrew.

It would take some creative thinking to connect a full size dac to a PC or laptop using that adaptor.
    Andy.

I'm ILOB.

I seen it been done a few times
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm andrew.

Pics?
    No chance with my dac, you could possibly get away with it on a little fag packet style dac.
    Andy.

I'm ILOB.

Small battery powered DACS like the Cunas
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

I received my doohickey today. Had a Muppet moment though. I wanted to try connecting my self powered hard drive directly to the Oppo 103 Blu ray player, which I use for file replay. I thought I had it all figured out regarding siting on a shelf - until I offered the two up together, perfect height alignment but the USB/B connection was upside down...

Undeterred I rigged it up just for a temporary listen, which worked fine. Then the Muppet moment - I realised that just for an assessment I could have turned the bloody player upside down

Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm tony.

I received the wee connector today, I run a lap top/USB/v-link/5m optical to my DAC on the other side of the fire place. I run a long 4m usb to the v link to let me sit the lap top next to me across from the kit (usually balanced on my lap or purloined by my better half) .
    The wee adaptor went between the v-link/lap top you just have to place the v-link on its back with some blobs of blu tack to keep it in place ( the usb is upside down).

Sounded better than with the USB in play( Furatech F2) I still need the USB for the convenience of using the lap top whilst the music is playing ie she can surf for shoes and handbags and I still get to listen to ma tunes!!!!!

For pure sound quality I cant really envisage any USB that will better it, just losing the convenience of the lap top being able to sit anywhere in the room with the long USB.

When I eventually get the funds together to get my basic Korus server built (gazjam) my good lady can have the lap top and surf to her hearts content and my plastics destruction.

Sound per pound ........many thanks Tim.

I'm Neil.

Bought one of these awhile back and the fact the orientation of the plug is wrong means I can't easily, I would have to turn the DAC upside down. If that was the only issue I might have had ago but the mains cable blocks the use of the adapter - its too short to clear the mains cable plug from the side of the laptop

You can buy adapters with a swivel but at £30 + and a link/joint break in the connection (cable inside?) I felt it would defeat the purpose of removing cable from the connection, so I haven't bothered.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks for trying it out guys, not much to spend if it doesn't work but it does hopefully demonstrate that USB cables can make a difference, but that difference doesn't have to break the bank. There are certain simple rules to follow and ways to avoid paying quite frankly disgusting prices which I actually find distasteful and makes me a little ashamed to be part of the so called 'audiophile' community. Keeping them short works, separating the data and power lines works too, but short is good and as long as the component parts are good quality then you really have to question the mark-up on some cables. It actually makes my blood boil if I'm being honest

At the moment I'm running one into an HRT Music Streamer II+ and yes, I agree for many DAC's out there connection can be an issue, but there are numerous DAC's that can be used with this method, just takes a bit of thinking, research and testing to find something that works for you or just some creative positioning . . . love the pic from Steve too. I like to get the best sound I can and spend the least amount of money as I'm an Irish tight arse You just need to think outside the box occasionally and try things out, some work, some don't, but USB cables are not a black art - and anyone is more than welcome to crap on this thread with their sarcastic comments

Anyway, I may get accused of bad form with some of these comments but its my thread, however . . . .

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast