+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello - I've popped over from PFM

I'm Charlie.

Default Hello - I've popped over from PFM

Hi all,

I've been around on that other audio place for a while, and was directed over here due to the amount of Technics knowledge you have.

My set up is a PC supplying FLAC to a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, and an SL1210, stock arm, Linn K9 -> Trichord Dino+ (the original plastic case one). These sources go into a Meridian 501 pre and from there to two power amps - a re-capped 557 which powers the speakers in the kitchen and a pair of 205 monos which juice up the speakers in the snug. Speakers are Tannoy DC2000 (kitchen) and Spendor A5 (snug). I've got a Linn Axis / Akito / DV10x as well, but that is currently in the loft pending decision on what to do with it (was my vinyl source for many very enjoyable years prior to the Technics arriving)

I have 3 little projects that I am considering with absolutely no urgency whatsoever:

SL1210 - fit the Timestep PSU which I already have, and consider further upgrades such as cart (Nagaoka?) and maybe arm.
    Computer audio - Take the library out out of my desktop PC, put it somewhere else and build or buy a quiet HTPC
    Speakers - neither of my current sets are what I would like ultimately, although they do fine for the time being. If something caught my eye, I would be tempted to give it a try.

I've browsed thru the MN / DC threads here with interest - I had no idea there was such controversy in the humble Technics upgrade "industry".

I'm in North East London, listen to a wide variety of stuff, mainly your good old "rock / pop" (the good stuff of course, less of the dad rock but some of it still passes muster), jazz as well, and some occasional excursions into electronica.

kind regards

Chaz

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi, welcome. As you say plenty Techie heads here, I'm there will be plenty advice forthcoming!

I'm Paul.

Hi Mr Chaz,

Like you say, plenty of Techie help here, oh and welcome from me
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Frank.

Welcome from a fellow Londoner. Enjoy the forum Chaz!!

I'm John.

Hi Chaz,

I was just speaking about you the other day and the 24-bit/192kHz + 24-bit/96kHz + 16-bit/44.1kHz John Coltrane "Blue Train" listening test you carried out using your Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2.

You are not really going to chuck perfectly good streamer money at that antiquated, beat-out, old DJ record deck, are you?

All the best and welcome to the forum,

John.

I'm Charlie.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

John; interesting question! The vast majority of my listening is now FLAC from HD source. I am happy with the concept of computer to DAC so don't feel the need for a streamer as such.

The "Blue Train" test was partly what moved my thinking away from pursuit of some notional concept of perfection, to just looking for what is good enough for me. Thank you for providing that opportunity.

So now I listen to high bit rate mp3 when I am on the move, and I'm happy with that. Previously I would have got bogged down with trying to carry around full size files, just because.

The technics was also a move away from the pursuit of "the ultimate". I've only spent on the whole set up so far about what it would have cost me to replace the worn out MC cart on my Linn deck. Any further enhancements will be just satisfying my own curiosity.

Good to hear from you again.

Kind regards

Chaz

I'm John.

Chaz,

Ah yes, I remember us having the computer versus network audio player discussion previously. Each to his own, and whatever suits our needs, I reckon.

Glad to hear you have shed the shackles of audiophilia. Funny how we voluntarily restrict our freedoms just to gain peer acceptance. A right bloody nuisance if I may say so, and personally led me right up the garden path and away from the very essence of what I was seeking. Music should be fun, and Life is way too short for worrying about bits of kit and the format of its media.

Hopefully you will enjoy modifying and setting-up your SL1210, though I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum about a bearing costing £450, which sounds more than a little scary; well, at least to me it does. This seems to be the right place for Technics enthusiasts though, so with a bit of luck modifications will more orientated towards your labour rather than your wallet.

All the best,

John.

+ Reply to Thread