+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing with Earth

MartinT Guest

In the interests of safety, and to acknowledge that this work should not be carried out lightly, here is a useful article on providing an additional earth for hi-fi systems:

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/earth.html

I should say that my house uses RCDs, I used wiring with the correct colour coding and safety earth plates and I connected to the main earth connection from the consumer unit without removing any current earth connections to the plumbing. The article does also confirm my findings, which is that sound quality with a good additional earth is improved. Please be careful out there.
    Last edited by MartinT; 06-05-2009 at 08:34. Reason: Additional info

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sorry if I was a bit full on,I'm just very safety conscious where electrickery is concerned.I've no doubt this would improve sound,safety aspects notwithstanding.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Being a bit narky I'd say that all this extra earth nonsense was started by Naimies. If you see how cack handed their product earthing arrangement is these days, especially if you don't have a turntable with separatre earth lead I'm surprised it made any difference, to be honest.
    Last edited by DSJR; 06-05-2009 at 13:35.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Blimey those naimies have got a lot to answer for .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Being a bit narky I'd say that all this extra earth nonsense was started by Naimies. If you see how cack handed their product earthing arrangement is these days, especially if you don't have a turntable with separatre earth lead I'm surprised it made any difference, to be honest.
    How can it be nonsense if it works? Martin's not the first person to discover an improvement, by a long chalk!

Why all this electrical safety business about putting in an earth spike is beyond me. Anybody with so little nous to electrocute themselves doing this would have been long dead by boiling a kettle or making toast!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mike,if you read the link I posted to a thread on WD,you will see what the inherent dangers are in doing this.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    How can it be nonsense if it works? Martin's not the first person to discover an improvement, by a long chalk!

Why all this electrical safety business about putting in an earth spike is beyond me. Anybody with so little nous to electrocute themselves doing this would have been long dead by boiling a kettle or making toast!
    I'd not realised the dangers until I read the link, now I understand it. My worry it that I'd end up being toast......this is really dangerous.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well the fact is,you could do this and have no trouble whatsoever,and enjoy better sound.If certain conditions came to pass though,and you were in the wrong place,touching the wrong thing at the wrong time,you WOULD be toast!

The choice is yours! I can't make the potential hazards plainer than I already have.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

Mike as moderator of this part of the forum and not an expert in matters to do with wiring in the home..I had to say what I did. Art of Sound can't be irresponsible in regard to matters of safety. As the representative that night I felt to err to the side of caution was best.

I am quite sure that a properly executed earth and mains set up will offer depending on circumstances some improvements (that is what I have heard to many times to not give it some consideration) but what I don't want is dead members or lurkers who take a bit of info (that may or may not be okay) and or they think they know best(By the way I am not talking about anyone here) and get killed. We can't be held responsible for what people do in their own homes but I feel and so would AOS that we should call attention to safety issues and warn of any potential dangers to life and limb, when appropriate. Not to, would be be poor on our part, and frankly I would not be able to live with my self if some one had got hurt through not saying something about the topic of this thread.

At this point I want to thank Ali for his expressed concern on the night...thank you.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 07-05-2009 at 21:17.
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No worries,just trying to help and to keep people safe.I may even try it myself sometime! I know what I'm doing though...sometimes at least!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast