+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Even better than the orginal

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I think Dylan is a unique case.

The material actually overcomes his terrible voice. I have always rated the lyrics as equally or more important than the music. I come from a bookish family and we all love words. My book collection is worse than the music. In spite of dumping everything I hadn't read at least three times, when we moved out here, there are still too many and the space is needed.
    I've briefly look at his words and not found anything that merits the praise.
    I like the way Peter Hammill has with words and phrasing, especially with the music !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    I've briefly look at his words and not found anything that merits the praise.
    I like the way Peter Hammill has with words and phrasing, especially with the music !
    Never heard him or of him!! Looked him up an the net. Have heard of the band but never heard their music. Will check out YouTube.

A few million disagree with you about Dylan's lyrics, not that that means anything.

However, just another example of differing tastes.

I'm Nodrog.

Never heard him or of him!! Looked him up an the net. Have heard of the band but never heard their music. Will check out YouTube.
    Hmm, well check him out I did. For me, just another pro band, churning out the usual stuff with somewhat pretentious lyrics, trying hard to be meaningful. Probably a bit like Dylan who tried desperately to be as important as Woodie Guthrie and so invented a persona to go with it. Strange though that knowing that, I still like his stuff but find nothing for me - so far - in Van Der Graaf!!

Good game this - I keep seeing new stuff

I'm Mike.

Hmm, well check him out I did. For me, just another pro band, churning out the usual stuff with somewhat pretentious lyrics, trying hard to be meaningful. Probably a bit like Dylan who tried desperately to be as important as Woodie Guthrie and so invented a persona to go with it. Strange though that knowing that, I still like his stuff but find nothing for me - so far - in Van Der Graaf!!

Good game this - I keep seeing new stuff
    Would n't have said PH or VDG were doing the 'usual stuff'. Possibly because I heard it when first released. I think PH did the first ever drum and bass track, except it was good ! Odd how it became a genre.
    Try In Camera, Chameleon in the shadow of night, Nadir's Big Chance, Sitting Targets, The Future now
    for VDG have a go at World Record, Quiet Zone, H to He, Pawn Hearts
    There are many others and they do vary.
    I reckon they are very special in that era and style, being virtually unique

New stuff is great !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm paul.

A few of my favourite covers

and this

and this

Paul

I'm Dan.

I like Dylan's originals, admittedly he's not a strong singer, but sometimes that that helps.

Sometimes I think vocal techniques can distract from the content of the lyrics, which is why a lot of my favourite bands don't have remarkable singers (Talking Heads, XTC, Bob Dylan, Mark Knopfler, Elvis Costello, even Roger Waters etc)

Of course there are always exceptions

I'm Dan.

Also this is a good 'un:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234