+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What CD Player?

I'm Stuart.

Stu

How does this one look for an exposure cd player? would one be recommended?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exposure-C...item4ac7d6f59b

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Naim cd5 or exposure or rega planet.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

That's the right vintage and definitely worth a punt!!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

P.S. The OP will hate me for this, but I'd look at alternative speakers. The CM2's are dry and rather tight a*sed at the very least in tone, with a sligt screech in the upper mid to crossover point in my admittedly limited experience of them. i really think music would be better served by, say, some good used Spendor S6e's, which you should be able to get for well under a grand by now... Smooth, clear and no stodge, these should sort the harshness out and allow more of the source to come through, as would the replacement A6r (I think it's called).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    P.S. The OP will hate me for this, but I'd look at alternative speakers. The CM2's are dry and rather tight a*sed at the very least in tone, with a sligt screech in the upper mid to crossover point in my admittedly limited experience of them. i really think music would be better served by, say, some good used Spendor S6e's, which you should be able to get for well under a grand by now... Smooth, clear and no stodge, these should sort the harshness out and allow more of the source to come through, as would the replacement A6r (I think it's called).
    How do Spendors compare to Epos ES14s?
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm stu.

Never heard the mk2 version.
    Heard the 2010 with same amp into vandersteens many years ago and really liked the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    Stu

How does this one look for an exposure cd player? would one be recommended?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exposure-C...item4ac7d6f59b
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Never heard the mk2 version.
    Heard the 2010 with same amp into vandersteens many years ago and really liked the sound.
    Stu,

I'd suspect the mk2 should be better even than the 2010

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Less of a nasal 'eh' quality that comes through on some samples (a possible box issue I believe), more extended bass and a whole half octave or so over ES14's used without bungs, which honk at 80Hz if used this way and a delightful tweeter, that is only heard if there's treble there. The ES14 is a twenty five year old design now and Robin was prevented from taking it further - and he learned a lot in this time about simple speakers unladen with complex crossovers.

The Spendor S series was beautifully and expensively presented, using good drive units and well specified crossovers. The Se models tightened the bass further, but to call them 'bright' sounding would do them a diservice IMO. Had I not inherited my tatty old BC2's and had them done up, the S6 or S8 would have been on my shopping list since Harbeth, even at trade prices, is way beyond me now
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gone.

I must admit to being completely clueless when it comes to Exposure CD players. I'm sure others here will know more.

I'm not sure if he frequents here, but a guy called Cliff, ("cliffyboy" on PFM) is a real Exposure buff. He's also a gent and very willing to share his extensive knowledge. If you ever draw a blank here, it might be worth seeking him out.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Less of a nasal 'eh' quality that comes through on some samples (a possible box issue I believe), more extended bass and a whole half octave or so over ES14's used without bungs, which honk at 80Hz if used this way and a delightful tweeter, that is only heard if there's treble there. The ES14 is a twenty five year old design now and Robin was prevented from taking it further - and he learned a lot in this time about simple speakers unladen with complex crossovers.

The Spendor S series was beautifully and expensively presented, using good drive units and well specified crossovers. The Se models tightened the bass further, but to call them 'bright' sounding would do them a diservice IMO. Had I not inherited my tatty old BC2's and had them done up, the S6 or S8 would have been on my shopping list since Harbeth, even at trade prices, is way beyond me now
    Interesting. I'm confused about the 80Hz though. I can assure you with my amp combos they are going a darn sight deeper than that, but, I'd quite like a bit more space

I'm Gone.

I've never heard the Spendors but I did have a pair of ES14s about a year ago. I still find them an evergreen design and they sounded better than I remembered, which surprised me. They benefit from being an essentially crossover-less design.

I've had a few pairs in different homes over the years and I did experience the honk problem in my first home, if used without bungs. I always preferred them with the bungs in though.

They often sell for as little as £150 with stands, so they are wallet-friendly. Oh, and if you ever see a pair of Epos with Origin Live stands, snap them up! They look "unusual" but boy are they good! The biggest difference I've heard from changing stands.

If you can afford to go higher, albeit not perhaps as high as the Spendors, you might like Naim SBLs. i love the things, but not everyone does £400 should get you a decent black pair. Walnut fetch more usually. Mk1 or mk2? Have a listen. I like both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast