+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What CD Player?

I'm Stuart.

Justin

Thanks for the tip!

I have considered that, and tried direct source from the CD, or from a denon micro player i have too - all have fatique. Using the Bushmaster as a Dac reduces it (in this case i also use ALAC files from Ipod as a source)

It is possible that all of these are creating fatigue - as well as the speakers... in any case the new speakers and amp have not arrived yet, so when they do - we will know more!!

If an opportunity comes up i would gladly add a new cd to the pile, and try it out too

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Wait for the new kit.

Still getting fatigue? Might be the Beresford or the NAD or the combo. Try the Yomanze solution. Still got a problem? Change the DAC.

The Jolida Glass FX DAC reviewed in this section is very good for the money. I listened to it for hours with no fatigue issues even though it is quite lively and entertaining.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

Stuart,

You worry too much! Once you have the new amp and speakers you'll probably love your Hifi and even more, music collection all over again
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

Interesting John!

And stunning prices too. They dont go cheap! here is one for 1k+
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Ikemi...item2581267fe4

and the last one sold for 680
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Ikemi...item2c7115c7e4

Not sure i can imagine putting that to a cd player, even though it looks very sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by John R Leddy View Post
    Stuart,

One of my favourite CD players was a Linn Ikemi. These CD players are currently increasing in value in the secondhand market faster than just about anything else normally described as an investment. While I do not see myself ever buying a CD player again, the Ikemi certainly was, and still is, an outstanding player. An integrated player, with a huge fan base, and an increasing resale value, I really enjoyed owning this HDCD and red book CD player. I only replaced it with another Linn player, a 2.1 Unidisk, when I thought it would be a good idea to try DVD-A and SACD, which ultimately gave way to streaming. I can understand why some enthusiasts see the Ikemi as being a last-buy CD player. A great piece of kit in my opinion.

John.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

Being blunt. No really? Lol

I've never liked any Linn CD Player's or digital replay. Naim works for me as does Audiolab (Pre-Sale), as does Marantz as does.

Their turntables on the other hand is a different ball game but I guess I'd get told off for tht one for going off topic lol
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm stu.

Naim cd5 or exposure or rega planet.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Paul.

Actually thinking about it, the Naim CD3 was pretty good and can be had for around £3-400 max

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Good point John but I'm afraid the CDI or CDS would eat it for breakfast!
    Paul,

I was a great fan of Naim Audio in the chrome bumper and olive days and went to purchase a new CDI / 82 / 180.

An hour later I could buy anything I wanted, from anywhere in the world, and at any cost, with the proviso I swore never to support the dealer or Naim Audio.

To this day, I simply refuse to consider anything manufactured by Naim Audio as a potential purchase, and to be honest life has been just fine without them, and I certainly do not feel I have missed out in any way whatsoever.

Naim Audio finally lost all credibility in my eyes with the introduction of their silly mains cable.

John.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by John R Leddy View Post
    Paul,

I was a great fan of Naim Audio in the chrome bumper and olive days and went to purchase a new CDI / 82 / 180.

An hour later I could buy anything I wanted, from anywhere in the world, and at any cost, with the proviso I swore never to support the dealer or Naim Audio.

To this day, I simply refuse to consider anything manufactured by Naim Audio as a potential purchase, and to be honest life has been just fine without them, and I certainly do not feel I have missed out in any way whatsoever.

Naim Audio finally lost all credibility in my eyes with the introduction of their silly mains cable.

John.
    Fair enough John and not far from my opinion of Linn and Linn dealers but here ho

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Good point John but I'm afraid the CDI or CDS would eat it for breakfast!
    The CDI might, but a CDS mk1 was hopelessly coloured and artificial sounding, even though it has cult status... The Ikemi is a bit two dimensional I found and not as good in this area as the KarikIII/NumerikIII we had to compare it with, although it does reproduce reverb nicely. perhaps the 'Silver' Linn interconnect sorts it for true 3-D, but since few cheaper Linn systems do this it probably didn't matter..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The CDI might, but a CDS mk1 was hopelessly coloured and artificial sounding, even though it has cult status... The Ikemi is a bit two dimensional I found and not as good in this area as the KarikIII/NumerikIII we had to compare it with, although it does reproduce reverb nicely. perhaps the 'Silver' Linn interconnect sorts it for true 3-D, but since few cheaper Linn systems do this it probably didn't matter..
    Really the CDI was entirely conceived and based on the CDS (1). The CDSII was somewhat of a let down!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast