+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opera and Operatic singing style

I'm Rob.

Default Opera and Operatic singing style

There are two brothers who have the No1 CD on the album chart who sing in the "opera" style. Does anyone here "get" it. I just don't understand why you would want to hear stuff sung in this way. To me it sounds so false, exaggerated and bizarre. What is the attraction?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Keith.

I certainly don't get it.

"False, exaggerated and bizarre" sums up how I feel when I hear opera singers singing opera, let alone anything else.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    There are two brothers who have the No1 CD on the album chart who sing in the "opera" style. Does anyone here "get" it. I just don't understand why you would want to hear stuff sung in this way. To me it sounds so false, exaggerated and bizarre. What is the attraction?
    I feel the same about rap music

I'm Geoff.

Some opera music and singing can be truly beautiful.

But as a concept it makes little sense to me. Surely, if you have a story to tell, it's a play. Why ruin any depiction of the events though the story by bursting into song? Credibilty goes immediately.

I feel the same way about musical films, they do nothing for me. With one exception, 'Cat Ballou' which was not intended to be taken seriously in any case and has what is probably Lee Marvin's finest performance.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

and dont they sing it all in Latin or something - and I do know I am a philistine

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpton_Rioter View Post
    and dont they sing it all in Latin or something
    No, many languages.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

just goes to show that I dont and havent really listened to it, I just thought it all sounded like Latin so maybe I should try some and then make a judgement

Main System
    FLAC -> Synology DS413j NAS -> SB Touch -> CA DacMagic -> Icon Audeo Sterio 40i -> LV Auditorium

Office System
    FLAC -> Ubuntu server running LMS -> SB3 -> Kenwood Amp (from the 80's) -> Mordaunt-Short MS.3.40

I'm Gone.

I tend to find Opera about as appealing as noisy adverts. The old "Go Compare ads" used to really light my fuse as they combined two pet hates! I always switch over if I hear Leslie Garrett is appearing on TV too. She just bursts into that awful hollering in mid sentence without warning. I tend to think of Opera lovers in the same vein as foot fetishists. Eeeurgh!

If people enjoy Opera, I'm happy for them. Whatever floats your boat. Mind you, I don't listen to classical either, although I did try many years ago.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    foot fetishists. Eeeurgh!
    I am with you on that one - what does go through peoples minds getting off on some dirty, smelly maky foot yuch

I will give some opera a go just for the hell of it then I can say for certain I dont like it 'cos I have tried it. I occasionally listen to clasical but not very often

Main System

Office System

I'm Nodrog.

Not sure. My wife calls it 'those warbling wimmin'.

Occasionally there is something that appeals but I have just two things in my collection. I hate to admit to G4 singing Nessun Dorma but there you go, and I have the three tenors concert ripped from video.

I can't remember when I last listened to either of them.

I went to a couple of modern settings when I was up in London every week being cultural but I can't say I enjoyed it much.

As ever, each to their own, there are millions out there who appear (at least) to enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast