+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slate/stone speaker cabinets.

I'm Steve.

My aim with this next cabinet design, is to remove the cabinet 'sound' from the equation as much as possible.

Despite my attempts at damping the current cabs, the ol' knuckle rap test shows there's still significant resonance in the lower part of the enclosure where the panels are bigger, and unfortunately, this is of course where the critical mid-bass driver sits.

At least I'm lucky enough to be totally happy with the aesthetics of the cabs otherwise:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/P1010202.jpg

which means I can concentrate on getting the construction right this time.

I will be adding two bracing 'hoops' horizontally within the section below the mid-bass, which will stiffen front, back and side panels.

The other thing I will do is to borrow an accelerometer and oscilloscope from an engineer friend and do more scientific testing alongside listening tests.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm InSpace.

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post

Yes my local branch of Radio rentals did these along with Luxman, Target, A&R Cambridge and a few other brands I can't remember...that was about 20 years ago.

The links are not working for me

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I seem to remember a truncated pyramid floorstander with a concrete cabinet - are they the ones?

Talking of removing the effect of the cabinet, I always wanted to have a listen to the Mordaunt Short System 442's but never got the chance.

I'm ILOB.

I used to have table made of Corian (Solid Tech) really good inert stuff
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I seem to remember a truncated pyramid floorstander with a concrete cabinet - are they the ones?
    Yup... but they got a bit 'posher' later on I think.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neil.

Links working now....Nice speakers shame about the electronics. What on earth...no style no brand identity. Marantz, Denon, Harmon Kardon clones....identity kit copies from China by the looks of it IMHO.

Jamo screwed up trying this a few years ago IMHO...plasmas and all in one dvd home cinema kit...disaster. They went from having a lovely self efficient factory (been there, very nice) to not, and being bought by a foreign company.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Right, well things are progressing well.....

I've found a small company who were more than happy to producing the cabs in 19mm Corian, in fact they were quite enthusiastic because it was a 'different and interesting project' It not cheap though as the two cabs will need a full 760x3680mm sheet which costs £500 for the materials alone....

Finish and quality should be awesome though and accoustically 'dead' compaired with anything apart from stone.

I'm also awaiting a quote from another company who are equally confident about producing them in Cumbrian slate, which would also be fantastic, assuming I can find a team of Sherpas to help me move them.... Nice touch was that he knows someone who can produce a rolled-edge bass port in stainless steel.

Not sure what will kill me first, my other half, my bank manager or my back...
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I have found this site..

http://www.concretespeakers.co.uk/?g...FQxBkgodYhgqdA
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Default slate

steve,
    I called up to see john at the slate place a couple of days ago and got a quote for the turntable plinth i am thinking of doing. He seems a nice bloke and definately knows what he is doing. Im going to see him next week to finalise things and order the plinth. Good price too.
    Clive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast