+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CD doomed?

I'm Nick.

Default Is CD doomed?

What could prompt such a rash query? Well the products from iFI actually. I have the micro phono stage - it is great, in fact so good I wanted their DAC to go with my CD transport. But oh no, as I understand it their DAC is for HD downloads and not for CD at all, something to number of bits per second or some such. Now I love the sound of my vinyl playback and in fairness it has had a considerable amount of more investment than my CD source system. So the query I have is, if I was to invest to to an equivalent level for my CD playback would it match my vinyl system, or is the format limited and now surpassed by HD downloads?

synsei Guest

I think the format still has most of its legs but I wouldn't bet against it slipping into unconsciousness over the next five years. Personally I think that would be a shame as I am achieving the best sound I've heard from CD to date from my system, and I do so like to own something tangible when I buy music.

I'm stu.

Is a good time to be into cd.
    I don't own one at the moment but do buy them to rip for the squeezebox.

I could see them stop being made in a few years.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Shaun.

Compact disc is a mass market system and is therefore destined to last and last for as long as people keep buying it.

I'm Shaun.

I guess the real question is, will vinyl last for much longer being a niche product...?

I'm stu.

I expect vinyl an downloads to be the way.
    I'am guessing less people each year are bothering to replace there cd player once something goes wrong with it.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned664 View Post
    What could prompt such a rash query? Well the products from iFI actually. I have the micro phono stage - it is great, in fact so good I wanted their DAC to go with my CD transport. But oh no, as I understand it their DAC is for HD downloads and not for CD at all, something to number of bits per second or some such. Now I love the sound of my vinyl playback and in fairness it has had a considerable amount of more investment than my CD source system. So the query I have is, if I was to invest to to an equivalent level for my CD playback would it match my vinyl system, or is the format limited and now surpassed by HD downloads?
    Nick,

FLAC has been in use for 12 years.

Linn ceased manufacturing CD players 3.1/2 years ago.

Streaming is the way to go.

Here are a few links:

Cyrus Audio Streaming Music Players
    http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/s...-music-players

The Well-Tempered Computer Streaming Audio Players
    http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/DAP.htm

The Well-Tempered Computer Asynchronous USB 2 DACs
    http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.c..._DAC_Async.htm

John.

synsei Guest

Streaming is convenient John however owning an album on physical media is far more desirable

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Streaming is convenient John however owning an album on physical media is far more desirable
    .. as well as a lot less faff. Open tray, place in CD, press play.

I know that 60 mins later you have to get up and change the CD but I'm prepared to make that effort

I like everything really. From the britpop bands like UB40 right back to classic rock, like Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    ...but be prepared to pay increasingly higher prices for the pleasure...
    The packaging and information can vary from the excellent and informative to non-existent, but with internet access almost universal, access to this information and more is but a click away these days.
    Packaging and distribution are costly issues to account for in the sale price of the physical product, and it is inevitable that the industry will try to maintain it's revenue on downloading or streaming as high as they can for profits, so the physical form will inflate slowly but surely in price as "added value".
    Personally, I have bought perhaps a handful of CDs in the last year, and those simply because the recordings are made by the band themselves, and they are not quite set up for net distribution yet...
    Once converted to FLAC, and read once, they get archived....
    YMMV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast