+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ‘Unused’ Garrard 401 & Mahogany Plinth

I'm Charlie.

Default ‘Unused’ Garrard 401 & Mahogany Plinth

I have decided to sell my Garrard 401. I bought this a little while ago as a project for a second system. When I bought this, I was informed that this was mounted but unused. It was originally purchased by a Rolls Royce aero engineer in Bristol, who put it in a basic home made plinth, which he never finished. He lost his eyesight and it got put into a cupboard. It sat there unused, until he died last year. I bought it from his widow. I still have the some of his paperwork.

I have put it into a plinth made by Pac67 from Hifiwigwam (cut for a SME). The plinth is made of solid mahogany sides with a layered MDF top, covered in leatherette.

I was going to use it, but it isn’t going to replace my Platine Verdier. So this is sitting at home, unused in my cupboard now! I haven’t used this since purchase. It was demonstrated to me by the widow’s friend, who wired it up to show me. It works fine (as you might expect). I can’t say that this is NOS, but it a very low/zero mileage 401. It is a later 401 with raised strobe. The manufacturer date marking is incomplete (looks like a poor stamp rather than being faded), so my apologies if I cannot date it exactly.

It is hard to price something like this, as ‘unused’ 401s hardly ever come up. Boxed NOS 401s usually go for more than £1500. Obviously without proof of ‘unused’ provenance, I shan’t look for anything like that. I would like to get back what it has cost me, so I will let a fellow enthusiast have this for £750 with collection from Cheltenham GL53.

Please PM me for further details or contact me on topoxforddoc@btinternet.com

Charlie

I'm Charlie.

Bump

+ Reply to Thread