+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Fever – Doctor Needed

I'm Stuart.

Default Usher compass x-708

Does anyone have experience with these? : USHER COMPASS X-708

I would be keen to hear some opinions on how these sound for 'listening fatique'. They have silk dome, oil filled tweeters - so seems less likely.

There are a pair of them available that i may bid on

Your thoughts appreciated!!
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    Thats really helpful mike!

I will buy a power block on ebay, there are a couple on there now that look ok
    Glad to help

Have a word with the suppliers here on AoS. I think they can do better !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm David.

Silver plated hifi world recommended six gang mains block £70 , why spend more?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubies View Post
    Could a 90 GBP power strip really help (is this a conditioner)? I would gladly buy it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/True-Colou...item5af2d354ed

I always thought 'power conditioners' were too expensive, but these look cheap (probably for a reason?):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weiduka-AV...item43b6541e08
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PB10-230V-...item53faf3a26d
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lindy-Main...item4d0f4e2590

Would you still recommend the same one, or any others?
    The simple answer Stuart is a big Yes!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

My first edition for the 'bake off'!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATCHED-PA...vip=true&rt=nc

Hopefully i will have some luck with a few more purchases too!! I would like to try some Spendors or Epos as well
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Paul.

Nice

It'd be interesting to compare them to my ES14's
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Easier to listen to and removed much of the dynamic contrast? That is my experience of mains smoothing bits - but YMMV.

I have rather mixed feelings with regard to B&W speakers. The very expensive models (800 serirs) can sound good, but they seem to need huge amounts of amplifier control. The more budget models I have heard have really struck me as boom tizz boxes .
    That pretty much sums my feelings/experience too but I heard a set of 800s (can't recall model number but massive floor standers) once at the Cloney Audio Show at the Burlington Hotel (Dublin) when B&W distributed Classe (before they bought the company) and frankly the sound was so bad it could have peeled wallpaper and paint, bright does not do justice to how sharp it was - yuck and I fled the room in fear of my hearing being damaged.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Jason.

You could do worse than a pair of Dali Suite 2.8s. Very un-fatiguing yet still detailed and a bargain at around £400 - if you can find a pair...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    The simple answer Stuart is a big Yes!
    I keep searching on this mains issue I have been chipping away at in an englishman abroad. Are you confident that if i bring you into your room and you listen blind to your system with and without mains enhancement products in a random pattern, that you will succesfully identify whether the mains is "good" or "bad". Have you tried the test using some simple controls and a valid test procedure? Are you aware of any credible scientific explanation as to how a mains lead could affect the sound, and where could I read this?

Thanks .

Richard

I'm Deleted.

You won't find much support for blind testing on this forum.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast