+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Fever – Doctor Needed

I'm Stuart.

Default Upgrade Fever – Doctor Needed

I have had more time to critically listen to my system of the past months, and guess what happened?

I like it less than I thought. The piano has an abrasive edge, trumpets also grate – more apparent at medium volume, so it always came down. I was suffering from listening fatigue.

In the last months I started the upgrades (after reading much here and elsewhere). First with the DAC (Bushmaster), then PSP, interconnects and speaker cables from Mark. The DAC and PSP did make a BIG difference, the cables also made a difference but less obvious with the current system.

Though improved, I still can’t happily listen to piano (e.g Kieth Jarrett or George Winston), or instrumental .
    Im So Sad. That was a difficult admission – I didn’t realize how much enjoyment I had lost compared to an earlier system. (A long time ago I had Genesis speakers with inverted dome oil filled tweeters – never had listening fatigue)

So what is left?

That leaves the NAD C340 amp and the B&W CM2 speakers as the main culprits. – I have read some reviews indicating both can be fatiguing (CM2s have metallic tweeters)

What can I replace them with that is the ‘least likely’ to produce listening fatigue?

I am prepared to upgrade both Amp and Speakers – and I would like something really musical, mostly to play music like Jarrett, Winston, or Michael Hedges (Aerial Boundaries) or Ottmar Liebert.

So Doctor, your help please, what are the most musical, engaging amps/speakers you could recommend? I want to get goose bumps listening to my music again! without listening fatigue!!

I have a budget of about 600 to 800 GBP total (but I don’t have to spend it all!!). Appreciate your suggestions!!
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm Mike.

When I bought my speakers a few years ago I tried B&Ws and spendors. Non first listen I preferred the B&Ws and had them at home for a few weeks demo- during which time I found them more and more fatiguing to listen to esp for long sessions. They had a hardness to them. So I tried a pair of spendor s9e's - much less in your face though still (in my opinion) detailed but much easier to listen to. I still have them and can listen to them for hours - we play music and TV thru them so on wet weekends they can be in use for almost all the time. I really like them. Would recommend you try and hear spendors.

I'm stu.

Have a bake off.
    Get as much kit brought as you can.

It's the only way really.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Keith.

If the speakers are 'toed in' try them firing straight down the room, tweeters usually produce less output when they are off axis .
    Also the usual room treatment at first reflection points, and behind your head if you sit close to a wall.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Paul.

If you like floorstanders then maybe a pair of Spendor or PMC speakers, if not and you prefer stand mounted speakers then you can't go wrong with a pair of Epos ES11 or ES14 (although you'll need a lot of amplifier to drive the ES14)

In terms of amps, Arcam are supposed to be easy on the ear or Exposure (try and get the ones designed by John Farlowe) as they are a lot better IMHO than the current available models.

P.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Neil.

B&W speakers are to blame not the NAD.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Paul.

I tend to agree with Neil. B&W speakers do have a bit of a reputation!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Stuart.

I really appreciate your suggestions!!

It does seem the B&Ws are the key suspect ;(

So many recommendations for Splendors - i have never heard a pair, so i didnt know about them before. Seems A6 ans A9s are loved, are the earlier ones as nice?

Does this fit the type of exposure amp suggested?:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

Keep your suggestions coming! Any other amps or speakers you would recommend to try?

The sum of the short list:

Amps: Onix A21, Myst Tma3, TVA, Exposure 15
    Speakers: Royds (which ones), Splendors (??), Epos ES-14, Usher X708 (or other)

Any views on 'fatigue' for the short listers would be a great help!
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The tweeters on their own really aren't the problem 'just' because they have metal domes. HOWEVER, I believe B&W use shallow crossover slopes these days and if this is true, there will be a phasey overlap between the drive units just where your ears are most sensitive and the tweeter may still be audibly struggling at the very bottom of its range if it's not attenuated properly in the crossover and the same if the bass-mid driver has issues at the top of its range. I've also read negative things about Kapton voice coil formers, but can't post a link to where I read it. I only know the CM1 longer term, but these had terrible bass-accuracy issues rather than a problem further up when listening to radio 3 anyway.

As for Spendors, the new floor-standers are smooth but never bland I'm told, as the current designer has worked hard on these. I was a very enthusiastic fan of the now old S and Se series, the S6(e) and S8(e) models especially, and they do come up for well under a grand on the used market. Lovely on orchestral and choral music as well as rock & roll, solid stylish boxes, but possibly better ultimately with a more assertive amp later on (NAD's tended to be beefy and all-enveloping I found).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

If you are looking for small stand mounts try and get a listen to some PMC DB1i's.
    They are very good and within your budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast