+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TT rescue

I'm Steve.

Default TT rescue

I have saved a Luxman PD 264 DD TT from the skip, it is in dire need of some TLC and came sans arm and lid plus the hardboard base has buckled.

I am replacing the base with 6mm MDF as this cannot be seen in use, but as for the tonearm, I have no real idea, would a Linn Basik LV V be a reasonable match?

I can make up any mount for the arm as long as it's a 9" arm.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Dave.

Hi Steve, Sorry I can't help with the arm but what a lucky find...

I know you will have a great turntable once you have put an arm and new base board on your Luxman.

It looks like a real classic...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Gone.

Hi Steve,

Very lucky find these were very sweet TTs from a company that understood the LP I think something better than a Basik would be good depending on budget. Jelco or even an SME M2 would be good partners for this deck, in my opinion. A Rega RB 300 is about the least I would put on the thing. But, I would start with something budget if you are not 100% sure of the units mechanicals. One tip from back in the day, damp your new baseboard with sticky bitumen panels, this cuts down any resonance. Also turn the deck on place a screwdriver on the top plate gently and your ear on the screwdriver handle, helps you hear any tranmitted noise from the motor, so youcan hear if their is a problem.

Best of luck

I'm paul.

Hi nice turntable ,I have a pair of PD300,s and after using a variety of arms have settled on Audiomods arms , they are very versatile look great on the Lux and are outstanding VFM plus Jeff is a great guy to deal with.
    Have fun and use ply for the base if you can.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the input guys, I like the idea of damping the baseboard, I have already made the baseboard and the TT now sits nice and steady.

I have a long term loan of an old Planar 3 with a R200 fitted, I am thinking of trying this as a first listen.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Mike.

Some pics of this project perhaps?
    Please?!
    Regards
    /Mike

+ Reply to Thread