+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm fuckoff.

Cheers Martin

Paul Hynes PSU delivered. Excited is an understatement, I've waited more than a year for this! Will report when it's plumbed in.

I'm fuckoff.

Tis now connected. Actually significantly better than what i had before. Excellent. Popped a hifi tuning Supreme fuse in too. Can't wait for it to burn in. Will report back when I've chilled out a bit.

I'm fuckoff.

Might be time to get a new pc case.

Untitled.jpg

I'm Mike.

Haha! That Streacom is getting a bit crowded!
    It seems your PSU delivers some nice clean power for different parts of the 'puter?
    How's it sounding?
    Atb Mike

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

I'm fuckoff.

Hi Mike;

Okay, some observations on the new psu. There are a couple of changes:
    Significantly lowered noise floor; hearing things I've not before. I was very shocked to hear that Jason Isbells 'Cover me up' isn't a solo track! Hearing new nuances in bass lines and bass lines I've not heard before.

Dynamics have taken a few steps in the right direction, to the point i was made to jump more than once last night with reference tracks.
    Funny the abbreviated version of the above is "It's quieter and louder!". Just in the right ways.

Micro details have been leaping out, this is something i love about refining equipment; you hear the artists voice waver/crack, the flaws in their performance are revealed (making it more human to me), you hear footsteps taken in the studio you didn't before. This is like getting a whole new music library. One great point of reference I find is listening to (good) piano recordings and hearing the complex interplay of the notes as they decay into/against one another, this is a lot more convincing now.

This has revealed some flaws in recordings that actually make them a tad less comfortable to hear. This is unfortunate but something I'm happy to accept in the quest of hearing what's actually on the recording. Adding the hifi tuning Supreme fuse allows a little more of all the above to shine through. What's funny is the PSU I currently use is no slouch, it cost me $1600 and has served me flawlessly, guess there's levels to this game (I suppose the new one being more than twice that amount might also have something to do with it).

I don't know what contributed the most to all of the above, the main differences are:

All soft annealed pure silver power leads.
    All leads are captive (removing more connections).
    The power lead for the 'PSU'(HDplex 250w) is actually the 4pin direct to the card as they couldn't source the barrel type connector. Which thinking about it is a great problem I'm happy they encountered, less connections (that I didn't think to remove myself). Happy days
    The 'psu' itself is changed from a generic Pico something or other to a HDplex 250w. I have to say I was somewhat apprehensive getting the Paul Hynes built for this PSU because of what I'd read earlier in this thread (bought the HDplex then read this thread lol). Too late to fundamentally change the spec by this point. Now if I'd stuck to a Pico psu, perhaps it would be sounding even better? Maybe, maybe not and it's so much better I CBA to lose sleep over it.
    The SOtM usb card has it's own clean power now, freed from the tyranny of the Motherboard's dirty stuff (this is the same for all of the other components).
    This is all in a completely messy and un-optimised set up. It's a shambles that I threw together just to see if it works and I'm going to leave it like that until I've worked out what to do next. I know a new, larger case is in order for certain. I might power up to a 6th generation I7 and new mobo.

I'm fuckoff.

There's another phenomenon I'm not really sure i can articulate propely but ill give it a go; sound seems a lot more immediate and palpable, its as if theres extra energy/liveliness/fullness to it. This seems to manifest mainly in the midrange, so things like guitars really benefit from it, they have lots more body and colour saturation to them. Its almost like adding a nice nice dose of tubeyness.

I noticed a similar thing when i got the upgraded clock for the sotm card.

I'm really in a very happy place with the set up now, the new pre, clock, fuses and psu raising the quality significantly higher and working synergistically together.

Next stop is recapping the sotm card and clock, expecting another nice uptick in sound from that. Also replacing all generic power cables in the pc with soft annealed silver, moving to one lage ssd so i can give the sotm clock its own paul hynes juice. Posh sata cable incoming as well. Finally might recap the hdplex because why stop any earlier?

I hosted my first bake off the other day and had a couple of vinyl guys seriously entertaining the notion of digital afterwards, wish they'd been able to hear the new psu! Not that i need other people's affirmations but it was nice to get such good feedback from other people that care about music.
    Last edited by realysm42; 27-07-2016 at 11:01.

I'm Martin.

Interesting stuff and matches what I have found which is that better power supplies equals better digital sound. So much nonsesnse about 'hi rez' formats and curing 'jitter' etc, when this is where the real gains are to be found.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm fuckoff.

Agreed re the formats, I've got red book that sounds fantastic.

After moving from generic usb output to ifi, to sotm and finally upgrading the clock for it I'm a beleiver in lowering jitter, it really can lower the noise floor and make things sound a lot calmer/less 'digital'. The sotm and clock is a great upgrade. Admittedly, cleaning the power to them was a large step forward. I'm going to change the clock on my motherboard too now I've heard what it can do. If i ever move back to england I'll invite you over Martin.

I'm Martin.

Cool - although I think you would be crazy to move back here - at least in the near future anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Default Journeys end...?

Good to hear you're pleased Martin! And it seems the psu is performing as intended.
    Also agree with both Martins that the rez of files being played is not the limiting factor, there are much more imprtant aspects from pre-production to psu/dac/analog parts etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast