+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Due to go in a couple of weeks, just waiting for my work Visa to be granted, been delayed due to the Chinese New Year break. All packed and ready though.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm fuckoff.

Got a new pre amp winging it's way to the other side of the world as we speak:

Image-1.png.jpgi2.jpguntitled.jpg

I'm fuckoff.

So how does it sound? It came with 50 hours burn in from Jon (the manufacturer) so sounded good Out of the box (flight case). I played some music I'm familiar with and was immediately impressed at just how much more music it lets through over the smaller cousin. I'm not going to say anything stupid like 50% better but it's definitely a more grown up sounding unit.

One area of surprise for me was the bass response, it sounds like it reaches lower and with better articulation, so I'm hearing more bass and with more detail.

It's been a joy to just revisit old music to see how different (usually better) it sounds. It doesn't flatter bad recordings one bit, things that bothered me slightly with the old pre (in terms of recordings, that is) are clearly more evident now. Another thing it really excels in is the inner resolution it lets out; there's an inherent rightness to what I'm hearing. If it's anything like the other pre, it's going to really come on song around the 250/300 hour mark. If anything changes substantially I'll report back.

Hours later

Another thing that's coming through nicely is the dynamics and (oddly to me at least) the timing of music; I never noticed anything wrong before but now there really is an added toe tapping element to drum work and rhythm.

New staring down old, bigger case for bigger transformers.

Said bigger case needs bigger isolation platform lol!

I'm fuckoff.

Ordered some hifi tuning supreme fuses for the whole system. That's two for the amp, two for the dac, one for the pc psu and one for the mains conditioner. Thank God I use Schuko plugs, cut the cost in half!

I actually ordered some before but they had a load of what looked like corrosion on them, unacceptable qc at any cost, especially at the premium end of the scale! I tried them in the amp though (i mean it'd be rude not to) and slap me upside the head with an objectivists slipper and call me a subjectivist hippy if they didn't improve the sound! Was half tempted to just leave then in tbh.

Will report back when they're in place.
    Last edited by realysm42; 07-06-2016 at 11:09.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    ...slap me upside the head with an objectivists slipper and call me a subjectivisti hippy
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh!

I'm Neil.

Hi Martin, nice to hear you're still in the game, hope you've settled well in Oz.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Hi Martin, nice to hear you're still in the game, hope you've settled well in Oz.
    Hi Neil,

Australia has been a real tumultuous time for me. We originally moved to Perth (WA) and coming from a pretty good job I found it sobering to be out of work for two months, then to land a data entry job for seven (!) while I kept looking for better work. All the while my partner kept flying to Melbourne as that's where the work is for her company (PWC). So we moved to where the work is (Melbourne) only for PWC to land a huge 4 month contract in... you guessed it, Perth! Bitter pill swallowed. Melbourne is fantastic though and they pay for her to fly back every weekend or for me to go over there, so it's not the end of the world. It's funny, I'm actually really glad I'm over here as my family are in meltdown back in the UK (pretty toxic/messy) and I don't want any part of it, so I'm thankful for small blessings.

As far as stereo is concerned, I'm still very much into the game as it were.

Next on my list is building my own hi-fi rack to accommodate everything, (hopefully) sound better and look better. This is a pretty big project, I think I'm going to have to learn cad drawing and source some items internationally! I'll update once it's underway.

I also will have to perform open heart surgery on my PC as there are no gaps for the inbound Paul Hynes PSU and accompanying cables - this will be exciting/stressful. I'm currently awaiting delivery of the unit, this has been a real source of anxiety if I'm honest; I've waited for more than a year for the unit! Paul has kept me up to date (some of the time) but having dropped $4k on the thing it's uncomfortable waiting that long. Part of me figures I've waited this long I might as well hold out, the other says just ask for the money back - I think I'm going to give him a deadline and see what happens there - not fun

I have a serious inkling to start upgrading caps strategically in my PC as well (on the SOtM card etc) as apparently this can have a huge impact on the sound, again - stay tuned

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Perth and Melbourne, two of my favourite places in Australia, what's not to like you lucky fella There's a great fish and chips shop in Upwey, if you are ever up there old bean.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Perth and Melbourne, two of my favourite places in Australia, what's not to like you lucky fella There's a great fish and chips shop in Upwey, if you are ever up there old bean.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    In hindsight I was a bit disarmed at how uncomfortable aspects of my life were at the time; I naively thought I'd move over here and everything would be perfect! I mean, who'd have thought some of my issues are with myself and not the rest of the Human race

How's china treating you mate? How come you moved out there in the first place (if you don't mind me asking). I'm always curios as to why people go through the trouble, now I'm one myself!

I'll make an effort to check the Fish and Chipper out, it's notoriously difficult to find 'proper' fish and chips here

I'm Martin.

Good to hear Australia is finally working out for you Martin.

I figured as much when you were back on the Hi-Fi trail
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast