+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm fuckoff.

Nice; which core type you going for and is it silver or copper?

One thing I've noticed is its very easy to play far too loud without realising it; I only realised I was raising the roof when I went to sing along and realised I couldn't hear my own voice (probably for the best).

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Nice; which core type you going for and is it silver or copper?

One thing I've noticed is its very easy to play far too loud without realising it; I only realised I was raising the roof when I went to sing along and realised I couldn't hear my own voice (probably for the best).
    I am going for............................"the best"

I'm fuckoff.

So this has had some serious time on it now and I think it's finally burnt in, I reckon it took close to 300 hours (it was very strange to hear it gradually improve then so far down the road bang! Better it gets again).

It's a truly fantastic piece of kit, with the mk.ii (copper) cores, it weighs substantially more than the model I was loaned. The frequency response is better with the bigger cores, it goes lower and dynamics stepped up a notch or two. Honestly the only time I'll upgrade this thing is to get it's bigger brother in a few years.

It's "sound" is transparent as you like and detailed without sounding etched. It also does this thing called dynamics pretty damn well, no impedance matching issues here sir (apparently a benefit of TVCs over traditional passives). I also stuck some Acoustice revive QR-8s inside, one on each transformer, just to foo it up a bit

I'm fuckoff.

Bumplestiltskin.

So things have changed a bit since the last post in here. Actually the equipments the same but I'm in Western Australia now. It's winter and raining lol.

Just got back from my first ever bake off and it was a DAC one. Took the old Longdog VDT1 along. TBH I was pretty nervous as to how well it would stand up against the competition, there was all sorts there, the big daddies being a Vitus entry level SACD player (with DAC) and a Meitner dac. There were loads of other ones too. The system was a pair of ATC SCM100 actives, run through a balanced mains, then regenerated by a PS audio P10. Preamp was an Auralic something or other (I think it was a bottleneck in the system tbh).

The Meitner sounded cold and analytical, the Vitus sounded fantastic. There was a NAD dac that sounded pants compared to everything else. There was a 'Killer' DAC that I liked and someone had a crazy solid copper, half Audio Note internal dac with tubes and chokes and all sorts, couldn't play hi-res but sounded lovely! At the end of the day we played a Light Harmonic Geek - this thing made the NAD sound good, it was really very flat and dull - I was surprised at how poor it was.

The Longdog sounded fantastic on the system, I've not come home feeling like I wanted anyone else's DAC tbh. It played all of the demo tracks and had its signature liquidity and warmth without being cloying and slow.

It was interesting when a load of people left we put the Meitner back on and it sounded great, I don't know why it sounded poor before but it really grew on me and I was very impressed with everything it did - it's a great bit of kit. I think me not knowing everyone at first and not being familiar with the system probably coloured my perception the first time round.

The ATCs were excellent speakers, they presented music in an effortless and persuading fashion with no embellishment I could make out. It was scary how loud they were without you realising, when a track finished and you caught yourself shouting at the person next to you was eye opening.

I'm fuckoff.

Well done on the review, nick:

Longdog Audio VDT1 DAC review

I'm fuckoff.

Got song Tung sols, made in 1957 ready to pop into it soon

I'm Richard.

so clean, really nice

I'm fuckoff.

Thanks that's kind of you. I'll put up some more pictures when i move into the new place; which i must say I'm very excited about! Moved from Perth to Melbourne (we drove it because why not?) And I've finally got the listening room I've always wanted, the speakers will have more room to breathe than before

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Feck me, Perth to Melbourne . . . that's a drive! I love Melbourne and have friends in Upwey. Have fun
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Feck me, Perth to Melbourne . . . that's a drive! I love Melbourne and have friends in Upwey. Have fun
    Hi Tim, long time no speak! Yeah, the funny thing is I've never driven before, so I got 6 lessons before leaving and then had a crack at it My Girlfriend is either very trusting or insane. I now have the dubious honour of driving the longest straight road in Australia (90 miles). TBH she did most of the driving though, it's tiring/stressful when it's so new to me.

Did you move to China in the end?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast