+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm fuckoff.

I didn't realise so much time had passed since I last posted on here...

Here's the new hi fi rack, made from Australian Blackwood to my specification:

thumbnail_IMG_6046 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

It's a real looker.

Below is a sample of the isolation racks. There are nine in total, what I love is the white pattern matches the top shelf of the rack :

thumbnail_IMG_6049 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

I'm Justin.

Nice rack.

I'm gone.

I bet you say that to all the boys.

But yes, very nice.

I'm Justin.

As the bishop said to the actress.

Getting a carpenter to do you a nice rack has to be the way to go.

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    As the bishop said to the actress.

Getting a carpenter to do you a nice rack has to be the way to go.
    Absolutely, the workmanship is excellent (All of the joints are mortice and tenon) and the VFM is better than a lot of store bought stuff. Plus, it's nice to have something completely unique.

In other news, it seems the journey doesn't end... I sold my Usher Mini Dancer 2s a while back (puppy Rottweiler made it too scary to own them lol). I've been lent a pair of Usher S520 as stand in replacements and... I just miss big speakers.

So, where next on my journey? Well, I didn't want to take another step backwards and so I'm currently in the process of getting something rather better than my Mini Dancers... I'll post back with news soon.

I'm fuckoff.

Sneak preview...

IMG_1407 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's gorgeous looking wood, Martin. I've not seen it before. Love the colours!

So will you be stacking the racks, as shown in the picture, or putting them side by side? Or indeed, is that the rack now built that way? If so, I fully approve, as taller racks are much better for facilitating proper cable management, which is important in any good system.

Bundles of 'spaghetti', strewn all over the floor, definitely isn't sonically optimal.... Anyway, enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fuckoff.

It's been a while since I updated this thread, here is my system as it is today:

IMG_3230 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

There's a couple of new additions, can you spot them?

IMG_3231 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

Here's a less subtle clue. Apologies for the finger marks, I've just added better footers, so they need a proper clean.

IMG_3232 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

This shot gives a good perspective of just how large the monos are; roughly twice the height of your average box!

Marco, you're right; I'm extremely grateful I spent the time planning, measuring and remeasuring when drawing the hi-fi rack, I knew I'd have monos one day and I had to factor in the platforms, all of the isolation footers (for both platforms and items) AND some stupidly big components (without knowing how tall they'd be). It all worked out perfectly.

IMG_3234 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

I've got a 13 month old boy and the hi-fi is as much a risk to him as he is to it, so I built this (admittedly ugly) barrier to protect them from one another. It tucks under the rack and so he can't pull it forward onto himself. I built this because I've read so many other people's tales of woe (I wish I'd never sold xxx and just boxed it up etc) so fingers crossed it all works out.

I'm Martin.

Looking good there Martin. Is that an LDA pre on the top shelf? Your sig still says Sanders?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm fuckoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looking good there Martin. Is that an LDA pre on the top shelf? Your sig still says Sanders?
    Hi Martin, thanks.

I need to update my signature lol. The preamp (at the top-centre) is a Music First Audio Baby Reference MK II TVC.

I sold my Magtech to partially fund the new P6 monos, which was a more significant upgrade that I had anticipated. Honestly, it's criminal how little fuss has been made about them! I know Bigman80 rates their little brothers (the MFA versions).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast