+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm Jason.

That's a stunning set up Martin very nice

I'm Martin.

Congrats Martin you have joined the ranks of those with 'serious' systems. The Ushers look like a million dollars. One question - it may be the photo but are the speakers not a little bit too close together?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm fuckoff.

Thanks Martin

In answer, yes they are too close. Unfortunately set up is dictated by the shape of my living room. I'm currently renting a place, so when I look to buy, the shape/size of the living room is going to be a big factor!

I bought with the future in mind tbh.

I'm Mike.

Nice set up Martin
    If you're looking for Pre Amps let's compare notes as that is next on my list too
    We might be able to try out some kit together as I guess we're fairly close together

I suppose those Ushers *might* give my Isobariks a run for their money

Now to make a big space somewhere for a P10 ......
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm fuckoff.

Mike, you're welcome to come and check it out if you like.

I'm always interested to hear other peoples opinions/tips.

Notes on the Ushers:

Not fully burnt in, I got them from Jordan Acoustics from their demo room. Despite their excellent packaging, they have some cracks in transit thank god I signed unchecked! They reckon they've got about 100 hours on them, everyone says they need about 200 to really sing.

Regardless, I've never heard my system sing like this! The amp is great, really grips the music by the scruff and has power in spades so partners well with the dancers, gives them what they need in neutral and plentiful power.

Things I've noticed with these speakers are extra inflection sung vocals. So while the vocals aren't new the way I'm hearing them is much refined, it brings you closer to the performance (hearing the artists actions, breathing etc, not just singing). I can now hear the bodies of instruments being played, not just the notes they produce. This has been a revelation. Hearing the actual skin of the drum being hit and knowing how its being hit, not just a banging drum in the background.

Notes on the Magtech amp:

Amazing bit of kit, really. I had it set up with my old cp6311s for a short while and the difference, even with them was one of those WOW moments. The utter control it has at all frequencies is astonishing. Bass (even in my horrible room) got a grip of itself and actually developed texture! In fact, there were some songs I played (real bass heavy stuff) and I was actually initially disappointed at first, because I'd never heard anything other than one note boominess; I thought that was how the song was meant to sound!

Now I understand that there are layers to bass, texture and differing notes. Pretty eye opening stuff.

I might have made this thing sound like an up tight control Nazi so far, its not; presentation feels 'effortless' without being lazy and when it gets loud or complex, it just doesn't break a sweat (or get hot, only amp with a linear, 99% efficient PSU). It does the 'delicate stuff with aplomb. Neutral sounding and clean, it just gets out the way and reproduces music more authentically than a lot of other challengers I've headed.

I took a huge gamble with tbh new amp and speakers, never auditioning them before I bought them, but just had an inkling they'd work well together, sometimes its worth following your gut

Notes on the ancilleries:

Power as important as actual components and should be treated as such!

Isotek evo3 mains conditioner (schuko plugs):

My first foray into this kind of thing and I'm glad I took the plunge. The removal of fuses and scrubbing electricity removed so much noise that blocked the music. This is the foundation of my system!

Ifi USB with mcru linear PSU:

So how anal can one get? About this anal. The ifi alone is essential if you're serious about digital music. Adding the extra PSU with its own filtered connection just upped the levels again (or dropped the noise floor considerably, however you want to put it). Goodbye grunge, hello new found levels of natural presentation.

PC and mcru linear PSU:

Low power (spec) ideal for music playback. No moving parts, sata noise filters. Much less rfi and emi. Jriver is amazing; don't suffer amp or iTunes, you owe it to demo this programme, everything most people will need. The PSU comes in a matching black case which is great, very sexy. You can probably a spot the trend here. Less ripple, less noise, just loads more music. This with the ifi was a *substantial* upgrade for me, really. One of those cases where you'll never know until you've actually experienced it

TQ ultra blacks:

Seen off everything I've ever demoed so far (most things have not come close). Pricey yes, but an investment. Transparent and give more music.

Isolation, Jcube isolation platforms with RDC combo bass, cups and spikes:

Great looking, bit of Diy (satisfying to have a 'hand' in making part of my system) and no vibrations. Very very good vfm! RDC gets pricey quick but is great stuff.

Franc audio platforms:

I've written a review of these on here, it they were 'out of action' with my previous ushers due to the huge iron bases. Placing the minis on them, combined with their own plinths looks great and these things work! Solid aluminium, ceramic isolation balls, some magic resin, anything you put on these stops losing energy into the floor and comes at you instead, you can actually feel the difference! Again pricey for isolation but I'm so glad I took the decision to go for these, and yes, much much better than granite (which sucks the life out of music I find).

I think my brothers reaction confirmed really what I'd been aiming to achieve with the set up; something that punches well above its weight for the cost. He said he thought it bested a lot of the megabuck systems he heard at the sound and vision show this year - I was chuffed with that!
    Last edited by realysm42; 27-07-2013 at 08:52.

I'm Mike.

Sounds like we ought to do a visit to each other's to nick ideas of each other
    Sunday's are my only day I could come to you.
    2-3 hour sessions any evening if you come to me
    PM sent
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm fuckoff.

Sorry Mike, I had a full inbox, its sorted now.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Ifi USB with mcru linear PSU:

So how anal can one get?
    Not at all anal Martin - the iFi isolates the 5V USB rail which powers the DAC chipset, as the 5V rail from the motherboard is not 'clean'. iFi provide an SMPS to power their unit which sends 5V to the DAC chipset via the iFi, so it makes perfect sense to use a linear supply with the iFi, in fact I would go so far as to say its arguably rather pointless using an iFi iUSBPower without one, as you are not realising its full potential
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm fuckoff.

Agreed and the proof is in the pudding, works an absolute treat!

I understand that they are aiming for a certain market with the ifi but they're missing a trick not at least offering an upgrade option, as with everything else, power is the key and in this case makes a good product great!

I'm Steve.

I can vouch for everything that has been said, this system has come a LONG way and i think that although it is still a relatively expensive system, it punches well above it's weight. It has been a genuine pleasure to watch this system grow and my god it sounds good, i have spent no less that 15 hours this week listening to this system for big blocks of time and i can honestly say i was gripped for the whole session. Well recorded music sounds AMAZING with layers and depth and notes that you can literally feel. Badly recorded music beware this set up will really out you! The addition of the big Sanders and the mighty mini's is phenomenal, i was trying to talk him out of spending more money but i am glad that he didn't listen! I think Martin will agree (at least for the time being) that the focus now will solely be on buying and listening to music, and do you know what i can't wait.
    Amplifier:
    Sony DA-2400ES
    Sources:
    Technics SL-PG490 CD Player
    Pioneer N-50 - Network Streamer
    Sony MDS-JB940 Mini Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S360 BLU RAY
    SKY HD 1tb Box
    Speakers:
    Paradigm Monitor 7 Monitors
    Paradigm Centre
    Mordaunt Short Rears