+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Journeys end...?

I'm fuckoff.

@Tim: from what I can gather, Jrivers dithering isn't great, so I'm probably losing something, especially as I tend not to turn the volume up past 30%. Also, it'd be interesting (for piece of mind) to see what a physical preamp can do. However, a demo would have to happen first as this is something I'm not confident on taking a punt on!

I'm happy to wait a while as it actually sounds better than it ever has done before, pre amp or no!

@Martin: thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry if I made it sound too sciencey (I try not to, I find places like 6moons hard to read because of their flowery language).

Keeping it simple, I've done my utmost to remove fuses from the chain (where it's safe to do so) and make sure the power my system is fed is as clean as feasibly possible at every opportunity (power conditioner has euro plugs, so no fuses, but and the big but is, all of the gear is internally fused and the plug going into the wall is fused too) whilst removing any opportunity for the gear to vibrate (via the isolation platforms).

All of the wiring is neat, (for the first time ever ) no power cables touch anything (including each other) and the signal cables have their own space too. Speaker cables are kept from the floor via 4 granite slabs (these were added since photos were taken) and I'll be adding some Shuntaya research dark field cable elevators (v2) for shits and giggles, im too curious to see if they work; I'll report back.

I'm fuckoff.

Just put my old 3.5" HDD into a caddy to get some old music off of it and my god, I had to turn the power amp off because of the horrible noise it got the speakers to make!

I'm guessing it emits an electromagnetic field of sorts, I've never heard anything like it!

I know its slightly different when in a PC case but the amount of 'noise' this thing spits out is unreal. Good to have a back up of my music in though.

You get what you pay for, the case is cheap and the cables have to be crushed to fit inside of it but it does the job

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A NAS is the way to go, put it in another room, well away from the hi-fi!

I'm fuckoff.

I use ssds for my Os and music storage, I think they behave a little better!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye you're not wrong, but they are not cheap if you have a lot of data to store.

I'm Gary.

Nice setup Martin, very neat n tidy. Bet it sounds awesome!

About Jriver digital volume vs Preamp...
    Jriver's internal volume is as good as it gets imo. In my experience you don't lose any quality.
    Its ideal if you want to use a smartphone or tablet to run Jriver.

FROM JRIVER SITE:
    All audio handling inside the program is done with 64 bits of precision. Most high-end hardware uses 24-bit output, meaning the engine has an additional 240 dB of precision above the hardware's output. As a result, should you choose to use them, digital volume, room correction, and other audio functions are pristine.

Why not try it, see what you think? The convenience is great.

There's a great thread about this over on the Jriver forum HERE:
    http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76912.0
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nick.

Yes, but the problem with that is while you are using 64 bit internally, the DAC is still at best 24bit, that dac has a S/N ratio of +100dB, but each 6dB of attenuation you remove from the output takes 6dB of S/N ratio and 1 bit of resolution. If you use a analog preamp after the DAC you wont have this problem. You may not notice as you have enough headroom, but its there none the less.
    Nick.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Yes, but the problem with that is while you are using 64 bit internally, the DAC is still at best 24bit, that dac has a S/N ratio of +100dB, but each 6dB of attenuation you remove from the output takes 6dB of S/N ratio and 1 bit of resolution. If you use a analog preamp after the DAC you wont have this problem. You may not notice as you have enough headroom, but its there none the less.
    Sure, that makes sense, thanks Nick.
    I run Jriver at 32bit through the dac though, and I noticed theres a jump in quality between 24bit and 32bit playback?
    Is it because there's less "downsampling" from the original 64bit internal precision?

ta.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-08-2013 at 14:20.

I'm fuckoff.

Thanks Tim Yes, I've used a tablet with jriver for some time now; I absolutely love it, makes life so much easier!

Ta for the input Nick, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Sending the DAC back to trim some of the output voltage sounds like a smart idea.

Gas, did you select 32 bit over the auto bitrate setting? If so, which one dude? Might have a go myself.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Thanks Tim Yes, I've used a tablet with jriver for some time now; I absolutely love it, makes life so much easier!

Ta for the input Nick, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Sending the DAC back to trim some of the output voltage sounds like a smart idea.

Gas, did you select 32 bit over the auto bitrate setting? If so, which one dude? Might have a go myself.
    Well, altering the output of the DAC is not a simple thing, and certainly not without doing harm. If it was me I would think about a preamp. But then again, you are happy with the result, so dont fret. I only wanted to point out that even with 64 bit processing digital volume controls are not without problems. You could try what I suggested, I make you up a simple balanced variable attenuator.
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast