+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spot the cartridge

I'm Deleted.

The Bloodstone Platinum, the Blue Lace Onyx, but I believe you can have it fitted to any of them as a special order ($4K extra).
    Account Deleted

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The Bloodstone Platinum, but I believe you can have it fitted to any of them as a special order.
    Not as standard http://www.needledoctor.com/Koetsu-B...hono-Cartridge

I'm John.

Says here one piece diamond -

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=koetsu

I'm Richard.

Found one (bloodstone) claiming to have a diamond cantilever - but not a onesie specifically (although could be - no claims, photo not good enough to see). But, from the bad photo, it looks more like a 2 piece like the ruby cantilevers. Why is it so hard to get hard facts about cartridges these days - never mind a few performance graphs. It's not like its hard to measure a cartridge frequency response and a 1K and 10K square wave

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    we crossed in the post

I'm Deleted.

If you look at the Koetsu.com website they definitely state it is a one piece (or monocoque as they put it) construction and not two piece.

Another upgrade is the Diamond cantilever option. As the name suggests, the stylus/cantilever assembly is machined out of a solid piece of diamond. This 'monocoque' structure effectively removes the interface issues associated with regular stylus/cantilever assemblies.
    Account Deleted

I'm Richard.

352 views and nobody has asked me what it sounds like!

I'm Deleted.

And, so far, you've posted 11 times on the thread and not said anything about its sound....
    Account Deleted

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    352 views and nobody has asked me what it sounds like!
    OK OK, What's it sound like?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    And, so far, you've posted 11 times on the thread and not said anything about its sound....
    Very good! But I like to be enigmatic. And actually I've been really naughty with that comment, because I alluded to my dissatisfaction with the reference system we were using and want to do it properly in September, and elsewhere noted I am not good at describing how kit sounds.

Will "flawless" do for a starter. All that MC detail and "sharpness" and delicacy but more so - and the bloody thing can track. Having tried it against the PT/FX3/1022 - which were "warmer" in a good, natural sort of way, but flatter and less spacious, and without that "real" sound to s guitar string plucked, we switched the FX3 onto the technics with the Sony and it really sang. Arthur phoned Germany and bought on the spot. I now wake up each morning with a google for "XL88". "sweet" doesn't really do it justice. Chilled might suggest something. Just fabulous midrange and treble detail and naturalness and space. I still wonder whether that FX3 isn't a bit subdued in the bass - and we explored an idea for another arm to address that, but don't go away with the idea this was bad in any way. Effortless, transparent, musical. I've said before - I hate describing these things.

But returning to my original fan-dance I'd really like to hear it in a proper system. Interestingly there was no hum on the FX3 with the XL88 even with the wick up full - it was only slight with the Goldring, so that aspect wasn't spoiling anything. But the Moving coil stage in the technics amp is hardly the last word - to say nothing of the poweramp and speakers.

Maybe the best cartridge I've heard. Just - seconds ago - had a text to say my gramophone needle from Arizona has cleared customs - so that will be an interesting comparison. And AK has dug out a spare Anni sub-chassis as a cheat to get my PT pimping project started. So September may be fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast