+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rega carts

I'm Graeme.

I guess that depends.

If i wanted to buy a cartridge from whatever manufacturer, and they wouldnt let me buy one unless it was dealer fitted, i'd be extremely annoyed. I wouldnt buy it. I'd have to lug a 75kilo turntable to the dealers, spend an hour setting it up again, then explain to the dealer how my homemade tonearm works. Even if i had a standard TT i'd want to fit it myself, just so im 100% sure in my mind its fitted optimaly.
    Obviously if i broke it i wouldnt be expecting to be able to return it LOL.
    But, what can you do? Hard to treat it on a case by case basis, trying to judge the customers competance, so a blanket rule has to be made.

Obvious side to come down on is 'let the customer make his own choices/mistakes'. Its a free world, if someone wants to buy something they might break the first time they pick it up, thats up to them.
    Obviously dealer fitment (free?) should be available if the customer wanted it.

So, dealer fitment should be free, highly recomended, but not mandatory!

Really sorry OP, i did sort of try and get you back OT but ive derailed it even more now

I'm Dave.

Obviously, your situation is completely different to the majority of turntable owners out there and in your case or with anyone who really wanted to fit their cartridge, that's completely OK. However, the average man on the street doesn't want to set up a cartridge and/or hasn't the skill and tools. For the vast majority, a dealer fit and set up is invaluable.

Previously, I was specifically talking about Rega turntables and cartridges when Rega used to insist that their dealers set up and test everything which went out the door. In that way, we could be certain that all is well and working as it should. If the customer then wants to tinker, that's up to him.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Thats surprising. What didnt you like about it?
    I love mine, sounds amazing.
    Fussy about loading though, and delicate!
    Graeme

The apheta was part of a dealer demo. The balance of the overall system was hideously forward and only brought back into normality when the apheta was changed.

I am a fan of Rega. I have had a P3, Brio, Planet, Elicit and a P9 so clearly I have nothing against the brand.

The cartridge change made such a difference and Dynavector are not known for overwhelming smoothness that may have altered the overall presentation to such a degree. The phono stage used was the Ios too so there should have been no mismatch.

I cannot believe that Rega would get it so wrong so I have to guess that the cart was either faulty, poorly set up or not loaded correctly.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Dave.

I don't believe Rega have got it wrong. The Rega is not on the 'warm' side of neutral but is clean, clear and dynamic. It certainly never sounds 'hideously forward' here or in any system I have used it with. Maybe, the system you heard was on the 'bright' side ?

I'm Geoff.

Dave

I have not heard the Apheta in any other context. All that I can say is that the same system, substituting a Dynavector cartridge for the Apheta was significantly better.

I no longer have Rega in my main system so it's probable that I wouldn't purchase the Apheta though I would be interested in hearing it again in the context of a different system.

On this occasion, I suspect the dealer demonstration to be flawed but it definitely affected my view of the cartridge. Substituting that one component made the most significant difference I have heard a single component make in a demonstration barring a speaker change.

I'm Graeme.

Well if your ever over this way your welcome to hear it in my system, technics based TT, linear arm, all valve with some tannoys in TL cabs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123