+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy CD tray

I'm Nodrog.

Default Noisy CD tray

Probably been covered before but... as I am having to use my second string CD player at the mo, I am getting a bit peed off with the screeching noise as the tray opens. The Pioneer PD S901 is so smooth and silent (sadly musicwise too at the mo) that it just makes this one seem worse.

Its a Marantz CD63SE. Still sound fine so don't object to it too much but I would like to quieten it down a bit.

Any guide as to where to apply the gunge without putting it where it shouldn't be put would be appreciated. Words of one syllable and as non-technical as possible please.

Ta

I'm Richard.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The CD 63 series used to have a fairly quiet drawer. Why not download a service manual (try HiFi Engine) and see if the runners and gear/tracks can be greased?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

The squeal is probably from the tray loading belt. A common fault on that type of mechanism. The belt needs replacing, but there is a bodge to extend its life.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The squeal is probably from the tray loading belt. A common fault on that type of mechanism. The belt needs replacing, but there is a bodge to extend its life.
    Aha.... is it a secret?

Lathe and chisels won't do much good in this case. Getting to the tray loading belt can involve the removal of the front panel, which requires a fair knowledge of how different manufacturers fit their front panels. If you get that wrong you might not be able to put the front panel back again.
    In some cases you can get to the belt by removing the top cover. But again, that is not guaranteed. So if you can't manage to physically get to the belt the mod won't do you any good.

I'm Richard.

Lathe and chisels won't do much good in this case. Getting to the tray loading belt can involve the removal of the front panel, which requires a fair knowledge of how different manufacturers fit their front panels. If you get that wrong you might not be able to put the front panel back again.
    In some cases you can get to the belt by removing the top cover. But again, that is not guaranteed. So if you can't manage to physically get to the belt the mod won't do you any good.
    Or - "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I'm Alan.

So if you can't manage to physically get to the belt the mod won't do you any good.
    Ahh, but he knows a man who can, spill the beans.....please.......pretty please?

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Nodrog.

i wonder how long the belt will live? I bought this player from Cash Converters (£20) about 15 years ago and it has always been noisy. Up to the last five years it was in constant use.

As I said, it works fine but its just annoying after getting used to the Pioneer.

I'm Nodrog.

Great, thanks for telling me about the bodge then Stan I suspect that 'if it ain't broke' may well be the way to go here

At this rate, Alan (Firebottle) will have no time left for his own stuff!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast